2 Hens 1 Nest

Kellykidz

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
When we got our turkeys, one (Henny) started laying eggs right away but in bad spots. Out in the open where the sheep stepped on them, under bushes that couldn't be protected, in the middle of the cat's walkway and my wonderful cat thought the turkey laying there was a gift for her so she jumped on the turkey... as we found the eggs we would put them in the turkey coop in a spot that I thought she might like as her nesting spot. She didn't like any of my choices. In the mean time our other hen (Penny) found a spot in the coop she wanted to lay her eggs (good girl), she laid 12, then started being broody. Every once in a while I will notice the first hen sitting with the second hen then she leaves the nest. The other day our good hen got up to eat and there were 18 eggs in her nest! So it seems Henny is wanting Penny to do the work for her?

When the eggs hatch what will happen to the eggs that Penny laid after Henny started sitting on the eggs?
What should I do with the 11 eggs that I have in in the coop?

Do I need to be buying an incubator?

Shortly after the original clutch of eggs hatch, the original hen will leave the nest. You will need an incubator at that point because you will have a bunch of eggs left wih varying incubation periods. I would suggest marking the eggs in some fashion so that any more eggs added to the nest can be removed. You are already at the point where it will be difficult for the hen to cover all of the eggs. Good luck at resolving this.

Simular story here at my house.I have a Silver Phoenix bantam hen that went broody and has successfully covered 11 chicken eggs and one goose egg.First there were just five eggs total (4chicken1goose). I gathered eggs for the second time that day and set those 5 in a nesting box and then had to leave. I forgot about those eggs til the next day. There Nelley was, sitting on those eggs. Other chickens would get in the nexting box with her, lay an egg and leave. Hence the 6 extra eggs. They are all growing and two have hatched so far. I myself did buy an incubator just in case she decides to leave the nest before the goose egg hatches. Good luck!

Shortly after the original clutch of eggs hatch, the original hen will leave the nest. You will need an incubator at that point because you will have a bunch of eggs left wih varying incubation periods. I would suggest marking the eggs in some fashion so that any more eggs added to the nest can be removed. You are already at the point where it will be difficult for the hen to cover all of the eggs. Good luck at resolving this.
This is entirley true, but something to help you mark the correct eggs. My hens both lay in the same spot, and i have noticed that one lays eggs that are long, and the other lays eggs that are thick/fat, more shaped like ean egg you would buy at the store for omlets or something. I don't know if your hens lay similar looking eggs or not, but if so, pay attention to how many fat and how many long eggs there are (or whatever unique qualities the eggs have. Also, some turkeys have more speckles on there eggs than other turkeys do, kind of like freckles on people, pay attention to the too.

Back
Top Bottom