2 hens 3 eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kathy1, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Kathy1

Kathy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

How does that happen?? I found one this morning about 6.45am got it right when it was still warm, saw her get up off the nest, then when I came home at 3.00pm there were two more! I only have 2 hens! I thought they laid every 26 hours or so. So how did she lay 2 in one day????

2. geoaware

geoaware Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Maybe Santa left you an egg...

Merry Christmas (and thank the maker it was not a lump of coal)

3. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hens who have a very happy life and good diet can lay 2 eggs a day. Or she laid it yesterday and was just sitting on it until today when you got it. Then laid hers for today also. Be happy I have 5 girls and get one egg a day and they are in a heated shed.

4. Kathy1

Kathy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am happy she did it , and very happy it is not coal lol, When I checked them the night before they were on their roost and when I got up in the morning I could hear her announcing that she was getting down to business. So I am pretty sure it was in the morning as it was still warm when I went out and found it.

I know which hen it was they are both supposed to bo RIR's but look a bit different, and the eggs are different, One lays small brown roundish eggs and the other paler larger oval eggs.

Pretty cool though, I have been hoping for a double yoker, but will take the Chistmas egg instead!

5. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    my dad has a chicken that lays every 10 hours shell lay at 8 in the morning and then again at 6 in the evening

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by