2 hens and 1 chick

Ksin1210

Hatching
May 6, 2023
So I have had chickens for a few years now and never had one go broody. one of my chickens I got last spring went broody. So I got her have a few eggs to see how she would do for the first time. She set up shop in the main laying coop also. I tried to move her but she wanted that spot. She was fine with the other chickens coming to lay.About a week in another one joined her. I tried to separate them but nope. Now only one chick hatched. I was so worried what would happen. Now on day 3 they are glued together with there one baby showing her the ropes. Do I have anything to worry about! or should I let them raise the chick together? I do have another broody with a small clutch of eggs due to hatch in about 3 days.

As long as neither is showing aggression towards the chick I would let them be. They may or may not fight with the other hen when hers hatch. They may or may not harm the other's chicks, so keep an eye on the situation. I've had broody hens kill chicks not their own.

So I have had chickens for a few years now and never had one go broody. one of my chickens I got last spring went broody. So I got her have a few eggs to see how she would do for the first time. She set up shop in the main laying coop also. I tried to move her but she wanted that spot. She was fine with the other chickens coming to lay.About a week in another one joined her. I tried to separate them but nope. Now only one chick hatched. I was so worried what would happen. Now on day 3 they are glued together with there one baby showing her the ropes. Do I have anything to worry about! or should I let them raise the chick together? I do have another broody with a small clutch of eggs due to hatch in about 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom