1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 hens eating other chickens fresh laid eggs....grrh

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BikerBabeRules, Mar 11, 2008.

1. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    A lady gave me 2 of her hens that will be a year of this spring/summer. They killed one of my silkie roosters and now are eating the silkie eggs about the minute they are laid. I caught them red-handed just now. I'm livid and haven't gotten any eggs for the last few days,, wonder if this is why. Can anything be done about this?

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I would eat them, but that's just me. I had to do that the other day to a hen that was beating up my other chickens all the time.

3. BikerBabeRules

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    well....i'm a vegetarian so eating them won't work. I'm so mad i want to take them out in the woods and let something have THEM for dinner.

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

well, you wouldn't really have to eat them, just dispose of them humanely, like cut their heads off or something. It would be quicker for them than roaming wild and being preyed upon.

5. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    They killed your rooster? Oh my heck.

6. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I remember readong somewhere (Storeys?) that once they start eating eggs, it's VERY difficult to make them stop. Can you seperate than? That may be all you can do other than culling..

7. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Sounds like the lady was getting rid of her problem that has now become your problem. I would cull them before they did anymore damage.

8. BikerBabeRules

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    [​IMG]
    alright, on my way to the store to buy hatchet, get up nerve to do this and be done with it. The lady that gave them to me had no rooster, they killed one of her chickens she tells me AFTER i get them home. She orgionally told me she had to many eggs and needed to thin her flock. Some chickens are just mean like this? I know with no rooster in the pack, somebody steps up to the plate but this is rediculous...
    thanks for your input and i will do this. [​IMG]

9. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    How could she possibly have too many eggs when they keep getting eaten/ Sounds like she dumped her problem.

10. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    once -I hare to admit it- but I forgot to get oyster shell for about a month- and I had a hen remind me by starting to eat eggs.I need to put that on my list for my next feed store trip- I now mix it in their feed.I have tried putting it a little seperate dish,but it seems like they just cover them up with shavings or dump them or try to roost there and poop all in the cups.So I just add a scoop in the feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by