2 hens in one nesting box at the same time

1year old RIR (Pam) and 6 year old Austalorp (LeeLee) laying eggs together in one nest. LeeLee was in there first for an hour or so, then Pam started squawking that it was her turn. That got everyone else squawking (other 1 yr RIR, Gina and other 6 yr Australorp DeeDee). Finally Pam muscled LeeLee out. I went back in the house, and noticed about ten minutes later that it was completely silent out there, so I went to check it out of curiosity, and there they both were in the nest together. I guess LeeLee wasn't having any of it and barreled right back in. Never a dull moment in the henhouse!

Besides 2 hens sharing the same nesting box (with another waiting in line), sometimes an impatient hen will muscle out a hen from the chosen box and take her place.......oh, the squawking!
roll.png
That's mine..I have 3 and they all want the same box🙄

Yes! I have a standard cochin and a bantam silky and they stick very close together. One day I picked up the cochin and the silky was underneath. They were both broody so this went on for quite a while. Now at night they roost together many times the silky is under the cochins wing. These gals are the same age. I do have a total of 13 chickens but am glad they have each other!
smile.png
Yeah my grandma has had two hens nesting together for weeks now. It’s always the same two hens snuggled together. They are both white leghorns I think. They are broody we are pretty sure, they only leave the nest to eat/drink but always go back together. I thought maybe they think they will have better chances hatching chicks together?

Back
Top Bottom