2 hens in one nesting box at the same time

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofchicks, Sep 14, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    This happens on a regular basis. But, it's not always the same hens. We have 4 nice nesting boxes that are the same size and have the same straw in them. However, most of my hens want to lay in the 1st box. We have gotten eggs from the 2nd and 3rd box as well. Anyway, on several occasions I will find 2 hens in the box at the same time. I don't actually know if both lay while the other is in there I just keep catching them both in there. Has this ever happened to anyone else. We have had up to 5 eggs in one box.

Here is a picture of two hens in the box and two more waiting in line.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  2. mamachickn

mamachickn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2008
    Little Suamico, WI
    Yes! I have a standard cochin and a bantam silky and they stick very close together. One day I picked up the cochin and the silky was underneath. They were both broody so this went on for quite a while. Now at night they roost together many times the silky is under the cochins wing. These gals are the same age. I do have a total of 13 chickens but am glad they have each other![​IMG]

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:Nope, this is a complete unknown to all other chicken people. You must just have wierd birds.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    3 Buff Cochins and a Langshan(all standards). There were 6 other EMPTY nests in the same location.

Matt

4. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Maybe it's a girl thang, kind of like how most women always like going to the restroom when someone else goes too? OR the hens take turns saying push, breathe...pussssssssssssssssh. [​IMG]

5. thewobsers

thewobsers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    near toledo ohio
    its either a slumber party or a
    butt groove thing [​IMG]

6. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    Besides 2 hens sharing the same nesting box (with another waiting in line), sometimes an impatient hen will muscle out a hen from the chosen box and take her place.......oh, the squawking! [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    i don't collect my eggs for eating so there are usually a few laying around. I collect them about once a week to put in the bator (only have a blue splash dutch laying and a black something atm). i have caught my black hen crowding in with one of my brooders though. The way i fix this is running the intruder out of the nest, and making sure that all the nests have at least one egg in them. it seems to work. [​IMG]

8. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Yes mine do this too. I have 2 nesting boxes and a dogloo in their pen, i have had 7 eggs in one nesting box, 2 eggs in the dogloo and 0 eggs in the second nesting box. Go figure. As long as they are happy so am I. [​IMG]

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Considering that I have read here on BYC somehwere that you need 6 boxes for 12 hens, I guess it's pretty common! We have large nesting boxes and the girls have made their own nests at each side of each box. And I have seen two of them in there at once. TOO CUTE!

10. EggHunter_66

EggHunter_66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Box Springs,Georgia
    I have 3 nesting boxes but for some reason the past week my 1 hen that is of laying age is laying in the same box as my duck OR visa versa...lol...It's funny because my hen is a Bantam so her eggs are so much smaller in size!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by