2 hens in same nest

eggcatcher

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 21, 2010
hmm.png
I have only two hens. Today one was sitting in a nest and the other one kept getting in there with her. She wasn't pecking or squaking or anything. There are 6 nests. I kept pulling her out and putting her in other nests. She finally layed her egg in another nest. She has used other nests than the one the 1st hen was in before but it is their favorite nest right now. Is this normal behavior?

Yes I saw mine doing the same thing this AM. I looked at her & said hey girl there's 5 other boxes. Crazy birds. I just let her be. If she lays eggs she's fine with me.

It is called "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence" behavior.
lol.png
Just as with people that which someone else has is more appealing.

Oh yes, I had a silkie brooding and my LF light brahma hen was laying her eggs in there, with the silkie still in the box! I mean, they were like smushed. Then the brahma decided to go broody as well. After about 2 weeks of this, the silkie hen decided to move to another box.
lol.png

Yes! i opened one of my nest boxes the other day to find 6 hens all squeezed up in there, and one was trying to incubate eggs, which are going to hatch in about a week now!!!
wee.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom