2 Hoop coop cattle panel questions

Pics
oh, and back to the original purpose of this thread...

Thanks to @U_Stormcrow I discovered hooks I like here:

https://standartpark-usa.com/products/j-hook-rebar-anchors-10-pack?variant=32048582754393

They are thinner than standard rebar but I bought a sample pack off Amazon and while not massive they are heavy duty.

I am buying 200 of them... if I am doing my math correctly this should let me do 6 per panel (corners plus middle) with corner stakes pulling double duty holding down neighboring panels. (200 should cover all 4 runs).

I will also be connecting panels with zip ties. I debated using metal twine but got zip ties dirt cheap.

I need to figure out the easiest way to keep other critters out.... I was thinking of skirting with hardware and doing the rest of the hoop with chicken wire.

I will probably use @Krugerrand 's technique for the chicken wire (shown earlier this page), but do the hardware cloth at the bottom horizontally for added structure (zip tied to panel) between hoops.

I like the verticality of @Krugerrand 's hoop using fence stakes... I won't get that just with jbar hooks but i'm hoping my plan still works and I can get a consistent arch.

IMG_20211013_175328050_HDR.jpg

Alpaca shade building (unpainted), coop in background. Coop has a temporary run for our 16 chicks... The first full hoop run will run the entire length from the coop to the alpaca shed.

IMG_20211013_175355978.jpg

IMG_20211013_175416762.jpg
IMG_20211013_175436297.jpg
IMG_20211013_175522422.jpg
IMG_20211013_175547942.jpg

Standing where the third building will be next spring, and then the 4th will make a rectangle. 4 hoop runs enclosing a huge veggie garden keeping it safe from deer, rabbits, and, if they go through the chicken or turkey runs, slugs and bugs.

Because one building is for alpaca, and they don't need a run, I will have an extra run... I think I will likely use this to divide the boy and girl rabbits.

Last edited:
Sounds good....any layout sketches and/or pics?

Posted pics above, but the general idea is sketched out in post 23 of this thread when I realized a 4 building 'chicken moat' makes more sense (for me) than a single coop with a huge rectangular run around a garden.

That was march 11th... Now I'm 2 buildings closer to being done.

My large order of cattle panel finally arrived, 6 months after I paid for it.

I used 2 pieces to pup up a quick wood shed, and all went well. Then I put up another 2 to make a little rain proof shelter for food for our free rangers, and the hoops are leaning a bit to one side, sort of a airstream teardrop camper shape. Does anyone know what causes this? Do I have something misaligned? The first two went up in a perfectly centered hoop with no effort.

I want to solve that before I start my 10 panel run, since I figure any error I make over that length will be amplified. Curious about any other thoughts- I'm thinking I will need to go over under over under over under, though I don't know how easy that will be.

They don't always form the perfect curve.
I used what I called 'spanners'.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-hoop-coop-chicken-tractor.72211/

WOW. you built a fortress! Spreaders might work for me, though I might do it differently... (I'm thinking boards with notches).

My setup isnt nearly as elaborate as yours... well, it would be if it was going to be smaller, but since I'm attempting 4 long runs (~40 feet each, iirc, it's been ages since I measured and my notebook isn't near) I had wanted to cut expenses down. One of those ways is, for example, using the jbar hooks to ground it instead of building 80 foot of framing x4. (It's not the work I'm trying to avoid, it was budget based given the sheer length of runs I need for this project).

It might be a disaster in the making since I don't think anyone has attempted any hoop structure of this length before... but someone has to, right? Though just trying to get 2 to 'look right' as a practice test is putting the fear in me for the longer runs.

Back
Top Bottom