2 hour old duck feet shaking can't walk

I've been hatching ducklings every spring for a few years now and I very rarely have a duckling that can hold itself up and run around by the 2 hour mark. All they've ever known is the fetal position, they have no muscle strength to begin with and on top of that they have just spent a whole 24-48 hours hatching taking what little energy they had to begin with. They will sometimes shake, wobble and half of the time they will look like they're on deaths door for a few hours at the very least after hatch. That's also why it's important once they are moved to the brooder for them to be given a separate waterer with electrolytes and vitamins to help start building up their strength along with replenishing the energy loss at hatch.

I've been hatching ducklings every spring for a few years now and I very rarely have a duckling that can hold itself up and run around by the 2 hour mark. All they've ever known is the fetal position, they have no muscle strength to begin with and on top of that they have just spent a whole 24-48 hours hatching taking what little energy they had to begin with. They will sometimes shake, wobble and half of the time they will look like they're on deaths door for a few hours at the very least after hatch. That's also why it's important once they are moved to the brooder for them to be given a separate waterer with electrolytes and vitamins to help start building up their strength along with replenishing the energy loss at hatch.
Thank you. Our other duck hatched by 12 hours and was up an moving in a hour or so. This one just seems like its struggling and keeps falling on her back.

Thank you. Our other duck hatched by 12 hours and was up an moving in a hour or so. This one just seems like its struggling and keeps falling on her back.
They all adjust at different rates. Usually the longer and harder the hatch the longer the recovery. I just had a hatch last week and one was much more wobbly than the other. I mixed my usually poultry cell with some electrolytes in a separate dish and by day two the duckling was up running with the other.

They all adjust at different rates. Usually the longer and harder the hatch the longer the recovery. I just had a hatch last week and one was much more wobbly than the other. I mixed my usually poultry cell with some electrolytes in a separate dish and by day two the duckling was up running with the other.
What did you use for electrolytes?

Back
Top Bottom