1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 Inch Mesh

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by coltsfoot, Aug 10, 2011.

1. coltsfoot

coltsfoot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Is 2 inch mesh ok for a run? We have coyotes, racoons, foxes, badgers, and hawks.

Thanks!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Nope. It won't stop much.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Mesh as in chicken wire? Definitely not. Chicken wire keeps chickens in, it is very poor at keeeping predators out. You need heavy gauge welded wire to keep out predators.

4. coltsfoot

coltsfoot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    HMMM, ok, I have enough welded wire to cover the bottom three feet of the run. Is that enough or should I consider doing the whole run with welded wire? Can coons etc. climb up and break in higher up or just from the ground? BTW, other than hawks, I've never actually seen any of those predators in my yard, just around town. I simply want to account for the possibility and keep them as safe as possible. Thanks again.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You need to do your whole run in welded wire. Coons can and will climb, as will possums. If you've seen them around town, they will find your yard if they haven't already. Just because you haven't seen them there, doesn't mean they haven't visited.

6. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:If you have those and there are any steams, rivers, ponds, or other bodies of water you also likely have weasels or minks.

2 inch mesh is wide open for weasels, rats, mice, and snakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by