2 Legged Predators.....

kitkatnoah

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 26, 2010
Houston, Texas
Found in my backyard several two legged predators, just released for the summer & looking for some action. I've been getting over bronchitis and have been sleeping on the sofa, so as to not wake hubby up with my coughing. At 2am I find myself wide awake, out of a deep medicated sleep, to find my girl Banana pecking hard at the patio door!
ep.gif
What is she doing out?! I know I did a head count before I locked up the coop, so the only way she could have gotten out was if SOMEONE opened up the door to the run AND the door to the coop! Since the motion sensor flood lights had been activated I quickly grabbed my son's pellet handgun and race out into the night. What do I see? Two teen boys trying to toss my chickens out of their coop & run!
somad.gif
"Hello, boys, what do we have here?" I ask nicely to them, to which they drop Mango (whose feathers I see are all over the coop!) They turn around slowly at me, grins fading away to fright when they see the pellet handgun pointed straight at them. I didn't threaten to shoot them or harm them in any way, but I did tell them that I would now be installing a game camera, so if they or any of their friends decide to come onto my property and harass my chickens, I would have evidence to show the police (who take everything seriously in my town) and their parents. I made them get off my property and then proceeded to round up all of the chickens in the yard. I see now I should have made them do that instead! Now, it looks like I need to buy some padlocks to install on the doors of the run & coop. But it is now almost 4am and rounding up frightened chickens in the middle of the night is time consuming when they refuse to go back into their coop...
barnie.gif
....now they're all back in and I'm wide awake...time to make some coffee and ponder if I should have just shot those two teens in the rear as a warning...lol...

You are too nice.

You should have held them at "gun point" called the police and pressed charges. Sometimes, that's the only way they will learn.

I think I might have come out firing warning shots into the air. It would have scared the **** out of tehm. Maybe having the gun pointed at them was enough.

I would have called there parents. That way you would have known if you needed to take it a step further. First off what are teenage boys doing out at that hour? Do there parents know where they are? If they were my kids calling the police would have been kind. Ask my oldest DD about that. Her and a couple of friends were out joy riding at 3 am. She was 16. The girl she was spending the night with Grandma called looking for them. We went looking and found them. She had to stay up the rest of the day and do chores. Anything and everything I could find to keep her busy and awake and she hated. Didnt let her stop til 10 pm. She never did that again.

I've had 2-legged predators steal chickens before so I padlock the door to the run.
I agree I would have called the cops. The suspects would have been long gone though, since when I go out at night I take the dogs with me. lol

I would have certainly called the cops and pressed charges. None of this "Scare them a bit" business which sometimes comes from cops who know the family of the kids in question.

Get their names and tell the parents. I they have good parents you might have a couple coop cleaners for the Summer months.

Quote:
I am going to remember this one... Sounds like a winner....

To the OP... I am a teacher of welll.... yes.... teenagers... I always warn them... do not come try and visit... my dogs are MEAN ( if they only knew )... guess I better padlock the chicken run now.
I also have teenagers and would be mad as .......... if I ever found out they did something like this to someone.

I would appreciate a phone call from their parents and I would take care of the problem... most likely involving cleaning chicken poop getting up and feeding, watering, collecting eggs, etc for the ENTIRE summer.

Back
Top Bottom