2 MAJOR ISSUES!!!

Hi, Kelly asked me to weigh in here. Unfortunately, I've had a good bit of experience with hock issues in chicks because one of my hens was throwing about 25% of her chicks with bad hocks and/or dwarfism. I've tried the little chair, massage, bandages, etc., but we've never successfully fixed a slipped tendon. They usually get worse and the chicks seem to be in pain in that joint. We no longer try to treat them, if you understand what I'm saying.
sad.png

I'm so sorry that you had a couple chicks born with that. I haven't seen that before, but I'm not at all experienced with chicks.

I did have a chick hatch with a splayed leg, but she was willing to put weight on it. After two weeks of physical therapy, splinting, taping, crying, massage, etc, it only got worse.

But, let me ask another question then... do I just let nature take it's course or should I take it to get euthanized?

My husband always does it for me because, he can do it very fast and painless, I can not bring my self to do it so i let him handle it if there is no alternative. you could use a vet or some people, use vinger baking soda thing im not sure how it works.

Unfortunately I just read this quote last week. So I thought I would give you a more humane way to do this. I am not certain I could. Good Luck and I am sorry to hear about your chicks.
Quote:
I just poured enough soda to cover the bottom of the margarine dish and then i just poured in vinegar- About half a cup . I had a margarind cup inside a gallon ice cream bucket. As soon as it starting fizzing I put the lid back on the ice cream bucket. The chick was in the ice cream bucket beside the margarine cup. So he didn't get wet or anything . Guess the gas produced just filled the ice cream bucket and Put him to sleep. I thought this might be a little easier on the chick than the freezer method. I dont think the fumes are very harmful for people , unless you were in an airtight place and that's the only thing you could breathe. It's the same principle as those volcanoes that we used to make at school.

>>>>>Then here is a newer thread<<<<<<
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/455836/baking-soda-vinegar-ratio-for-euthanasia

Back
Top Bottom