2 Males in the Same Pen?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Shepicca, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Shepicca

Shepicca Songster 10 Years

May 16, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I have been offered a male white peacock!! I have been searching for one of these for about a year now but I just bought a yearling pied male. At the moment I don't have enough pens for everybody. Could I put the white 2year old male in with the yearling pied and 2 white yearling girls? The yearling never had a tail and seemingly the white has lost his. The pen is 20x30 with a 10x10 house attached.
    Will they fight? Would they be OK for a couple months until I get get things rearrranged?
    I do want him but I don't want to upset everything that I already have.
    Thanks

Irene

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger 10 Years

My first concern would be bio security. Bringing in a new bird could bring in things you don't want other birds exposed to. i would first try to set up a quarantine area to put him in before adding him to yours. I have a lot of males in together..... there may be some tussles but mostly they will work it out, just keep an eye on them.

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane 8 Years

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I seem to recall reading that it's ok to have them together if they are introduced without tails, you know, after breeding season and stuff. I think since the yearling is also not of breeding age, that the 2 year old is probably less likely to pick on him. I would put them together at night if I were in your situation, and get up early the next morning to keep an eye on them.

4. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Songster

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    You will want to Quarantine this new peacock, unless you know and trust the person that you got it from and then I would still quarantine it. But you can run males together after breeding season. Now you do know if you have a pied male and a pied hen you will also hatch out white peachicks?

5. NateinFL

NateinFL Songster

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Let me say that I introduced a flighty adult male in with my 2 yr old at the beginning of the breeding season and they could NOT be kept in the same pen as the 2 yr old was very aggressive and had the new one scared for his life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: