2 mama hens...1 baby ???

Pillzzner

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 3, 2012
Georgia
I have 2 phoneix bantam hens and a roo. One of my hens went broody....I let her keep 5 eggs that I marked and continued to take the others away. Well a few days ago I noticed the other hen began sitting and sleeping in the box with her. Last night a baby hatched. Now I'm noticing the amazing team work with the 2 hens!! While she is still sitting on the other eggs, the hatched baby is with the other hen. They are taking turns with the baby and eggs. One will leave the nest to go eat and drink, while the other stays with the eggs and baby...then they will switch. It is the cutest thing....but is this normal behavior? The hens look so much alike I can't tell which is the original broody. lol

If the hens are getting along fine then I don't think there is a problem at all! Last year I had 2 hens go broody, one had eggs due a week before the other but her eggs didn't hatch so when it came to the second broodies due date I went up and one chick had hatched and the other egg had a peeping chick inside, I took the egg and put it under the hen that failed. The next day, I went up and the chick had hatched. I put the hen who failed and her chick into the shed with the hen that hatched the day before and they both got along fine, accepted each others chicks and raised them together :) Hope some more of your eggs hatch!

Oh too cute!!! Love the pics! I hope more eggs hatch also....they seem very determined and are getting along great so I will just have to wait and see!
fl.gif

well i have been raising chickens for may years and i have had 2 of my ducks do that and i had chickens to do that but i had a cuckoo maren that had chicks with a wellsummer and one of the hens would set with its mom for years after they were grown and they always done that til they died but it should be fine i normally separate them so i can put more eggs under one hen that started later so you can have more chicks

The 2 mamas...mama 1 (in the door way) is sitting on eggs, while mama 2 has the baby...You can see the baby in pic 2 poking out from under the wing....lol they were very upset I got too close. I can hear more chirping...not sure if another has hatched or still in egg....very sweet mamas.

The 2 mamas...mama 1 (in the door way) is sitting on eggs, while mama 2 has the baby...You can see the baby in pic 2 poking out from under the wing....lol they were very upset I got too close. I can hear more chirping...not sure if another has hatched or still in egg....very sweet mamas.
love.gif
, Let us know if anymore hatch!

Back
Top Bottom