2 month old BR, RIR, and Austalorp. Roos or hens?

Trixar232

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
I posted before but recieved limited answers. I really need to know if I have any roosters immediately.They are all 8 weeks old. I'm thinking the BR and Australorp are males and the RIR is a female. The RIR is having a slower comb development than the others and barely has a waddle. Before I give away my rooseter and keep the pullet, I want be sure that is what they are. Here are some pictures.

They all look like roos to me. The combs are too red. Pullets wont get that red until they are closer to 16-20 weeks and are ready to lay. Your aussie bird looks like a roo, my girls didnt get wattle growth until well into 12+ weeks.

sad.png
aww, well it looks like I'm gonna have to give away all 3. Thank you for replying though.

Im sorry you ahve to give them away. I know your pain. Of the 20 eggs I incubated, 8 hatched and 5 of those are boys
sad.png
I have to give mine away in 2 weeks when they are 8 weeks old too.

Well.. I guess thats just the reality of raising chickens... you can't have them all. Good luck with your flock.

I see all roosters, also. At this age a pullet's comb will start growing a little, but not have any color to it.

We have 3 RIR pullets and they do NOT have tall combs like the one in your picture, just short pinkish barely there combs, and they are very plump 10-11 week olds, bigger than yours...I'm new to this and hoping my EE is not a roo, but I'm thinking he is.

I just uploaded pictures of my 7 week old RIR and BR asking the same question. Comparing the two there is a great difference. I think yours must be roo's, unless one week make such a difference. Sorry your's did not work out. We are not allowed to have roo's in our area so it make it sad if it's not pullets.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom