2 month old chick lethargic, not eating

ND Sue

Songster
10 Years
Sep 20, 2009
ND
Hi,

I have a 2 month old chick that isn't eating or drinking and is quiet and lethargic. She is fine as far as breathing, no respiratory symptoms or anything like that.

She just sits puffed up and not real interested in eating. I have separated her from the group of chicks and syringed in some water and she pecks at bread I have offered her. She is not interested in her crumbles. I added another dish of wetted down crumbles in case that entices her at all.

I feed medicated chick starter crumbles. None of the other chicks seem sick or have any problems.

Her croup is empty. She is having soft formed brown poops, not liquid or bloody or anything like that.

She is strong enough to really clamp down hard when it comes to me syringing her any water.

Does this sound like something I should just try antibiotics? I have never wormed this batch of chicks yet and hate to worm when she's sick... or should I?

Any ideas?

Did you have her vaccinated for Marek's? I've been having lethargy/leg weakness problems with one of my three week old chicks, and was told that it is probably a dietary issue. I was told that I could give her a baby vitamin supplement called Polyvisol, the kind without iron in it. Put a teeny drop in a tablespoon or so of plain yogurt. My baby didn't seem to like it and wouldn't eat much, so I'm going to try sweetening it with honey. I was also told that I could give her mooshed up scrambled egg, and she seemed to like that a lot. I put a little drop of vitamins in that, since she wouldn't eat the yogurt.

If you call your hatchery they can probably give you good advice. Good luck with your baby!

Plus be careful syringing her with water, it can get in her lungs. What I do with my bird is gently dip the her beak in the water a couple of times, then she starts drinking on her own. It's weird, it's like she forgot what water was.

Thanks for your reply and ideas! I sure appreciate any input since I am at such a loss!

I hatched her out myself and have never vaccinated for Merricks. She doesn't seem to show any of the symptoms of Mareks that I have read about. (Besides being lethargic)
She is walking around fine if I make her. I brought her outside for a little fresh air and to see if it would help her eat and she walked around and peeped to her buds that are in their run and seemed to have more energy, but no eating or drinking.

I have tried mashing hard boiled egg (minus shell) with yogurt, tried wetting her crumbles and all are refused. She did take a couple pecks of bread that I dipped in water. I already tried dipping her beak in the water yesterday and that didn't do much so that's when I brought out the syringe!

Because I can't think of doing anything else, I put some Corid in the water and syringed a little to her and she seemed to perk up a couple hours later. But still no appetite and an empty crop.

I'm not sure f I should try vitamins since I' giving the antibiotic or not... I'll let her rest up an hour or so and will try the vitamin/electrolytes alone in some water next. And then mix up a new batch of antibiotic alone without vit. to leave in with her and give to her next. Unless anyone has any other thoughts or reasons why I shouldn't do that.

She's quiet, but more alert than she was. I also added the heat lamp at a distance in case our air is too much for her. I may have forgotten to mention, I brought her in the house yesterday when I noticed she was just sitting there.

Anyone have any ideas what this may be? Main symptom, is no appetite and not drinking, very quiet and lays down, yet is awake and alert.
No sores in her mouth, respiratory problems or diarrhea. So I'm not sure why she doesn't want to eat or drink. No problems with movement of legs or wings.

Crop is empty. That would mean not impacted since it's empty I assume?
I've done nothing new. Eating same feed from a bag I bought a week ago. No other birds are sick or off feed.

???

Back
Top Bottom