2 month old chick seems sick??

WeezyH

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
Hi! We live in Lake Charles, LA, and we were just hit by a bad hurricane. I brought my chickens inside and they were fine. Since then, we’ve been working outside with my chickens free ranging. One of my youngest, about 2 months, has started lying down a lot...kind of panting with her beak open. I can’t see any injuries?? We have an older set of pullets and a rooster- almost 5 months old. They free range in same yard, but we watch them because the older ones chase them. I may have missed an encounter, unless she is sick?? Please help!
8545EC0D-730C-4FA5-A953-345BFE0ECB7B.jpeg

It sounds like she is hot. If you fear she may be dehydrating, take a cool (not cold) wet towel and press it against her comb and waddles. Those two things regulate their internal temperature. You can also dip her feet in cool water (again, not cold, you want to avoid shock) and then let her chill out in a cool, dry place with plenty of shade and some electrolyte water. If she doesn’t have her feathers all puffed out or seems lethargic, she’s probably just hot. Plus I’m sure the hurricane was stressful.

It sounds like she is hot. If you fear she may be dehydrating, take a cool (not cold) wet towel and press it against her comb and waddles. Those two things regulate their internal temperature. You can also dip her feet in cool water (again, not cold, you want to avoid shock) and then let her chill out in a cool, dry place with plenty of shade and some electrolyte water. If she doesn’t have her feathers all puffed out or seems lethargic, she’s probably just hot. Plus I’m sure the hurricane was stressful.
Ok. I will try that. It has been terribly hot. The other ones aren’t acting the same so I didn’t think about the heat. There’s shade, but it is humid. Thank you!

How are her poops looking? Is she drinking water and eating? Besides dehydration, I would also look at possible coccidiosis. Symptoms are not eating, puffing up, runny poops, and lethargy. Corid (amprollium) from the feed store in the cattle aisle is the treatment.

How are her poops looking? Is she drinking water and eating? Besides dehydration, I would also look at possible coccidiosis. Symptoms are not eating, puffing up, runny poops, and lethargy. Corid (amprollium) from the feed store in the cattle aisle is the treatment.

Her poop was a little runny. She’s been nibbling and drinking water if I put in front of her. Ill look into coccidiosis. I’ll try to find the medicine, but not much open since the storm. Thank you!

Probably just hot. All my birds are let out in the morning, eat/drink/forage, and then just chill in the shade looking a lot like your bird.

Back
Top Bottom