2 month old pullet has bloody poop

BansheeBenji

Chirping
Apr 29, 2018
This morning I went to put my two 2mo pullets out in their pen, they've been sleeping in a fenced off wing in the main Coop to adjust them to sleeping outside and to safely get them used to the older hens and vice versa, which I've done before and is going fine, and there was blood. I looked up and my aumeracana pullet was pooping straight up blood. And alot of it.

I don't have a picture because I just went straight into action mode. I made a fresh batch of corrid, 1.5tsp per gal, and I'm going to move their pen (it's outside of my main run where I've not had chickens before).

I am keeping her with her sister because I think they'll both be super stressed on their own and if ones infected, I assume they both are. But her sister is totally fine, still mischievous and everything. Regardless, I'm treating them both. I am positive it's not an injury. But what gets me is that I did preventative treatment. I did corrid for 5 days at 1.5 tsp and then I did another round at a lower strength to follow up. I also gave medicated feed until now. I don't know what vaccines they have, as I bought them from the feed store. I read that that could help prevent this.

She's always been a bit slow growing. She weighs half my other pullets weight. But she's always been a huge eater, a good forager. Loud. She will fight you and bite you because she just doesn't wanna be held. I had to treat her for pasty butt daily for the first two weeks I had her and I think that's part of it, but her poops were always far smaller than her sisters, despite eating as much. I figured she was just a runt.

Yesterday was coldish and she was a bit puffed, as was her sister, and I assumed they just didn't like the wind. She still fought me about being held to move her up to bed. Right now she's still preening, still moving around. Her comb is still pinkish. I've seen her drink. I plan to also steam clean the part of the coop they were in and dispose of things responsibly.

Should I treat my older hens? They're 5/4/3 and I've never had this, only other worms. Is it a bad idea not to seperate the two? I'll be housing the chicks in the garage again overnight till this passes. But I think it'd be more stress to seperate my pullets. I'm really hoping it's not too late to save her.

It could be that the runt has damage to her gut from having coccidosis for awhile, but she also could have a strain that is resistant to Corid (amprollium.) Make sure that she drinks enough of the water. You can also give drench of her the eqivalent of undiluted liquid Corid 0.1 ml per pound of weight once or twice daily for a few days. To make undiluted liquid Corid, take 1.5 tsp of your powder, and add it to 10 ml or 2 tsp of water and mix well. For Corid resistant coccidiosis, many people get Albon or sulfadimethoxine from a vet. You can get it online, but that can take too long.

The older chickens may not require treatment, but Corid is safe for all birds. I would not separate the 2 little ones.

Here is where to buy sulfa:
https://jedds.com/products/medicox-medpet

It could be that the runt has damage to her gut from having coccidosis for awhile, but she also could have a strain that is resistant to Corid (amprollium.) Make sure that she drinks enough of the water. You can also give drench of her the eqivalent of undiluted liquid Corid 0.1 ml per pound of weight once or twice daily for a few days. To make undiluted liquid Corid, take 1.5 tsp of your powder, and add it to 10 ml or 2 tsp of water and mix well. For Corid resistant coccidiosis, many people get Albon or sulfadimethoxine from a vet. You can get it online, but that can take too long.

The older chickens may not require treatment, but Corid is safe for all birds. I would not separate the 2 little ones.

Here is where to buy sulfa:
https://jedds.com/products/medicox-medpet
@Eggcessive What should one do w.r.t to the eggs hens lay during medicine treatment? discard the eggs ? how long after the treatment is it safe to use the eggs?

There is no egg withdrawal time for Corid (amprollium.) But with sulfa antibiotics which are not approved for poultry, and used off label, I would not use the eggs for several weeks.

@Eggcessive Thankyou for the advice; I'll keep the two together. I'll keep an eye on the older hens for now. They all seem fine. Unfortunately though, she prolapse suddenly and I have a vet visit for her tomorrow morning, it was the earliest I could get. I couldn't successfully treat it myself but I've put blue kote on it, cleaned it as much as I could, I'm keeping her on corrid, and I'm watching her like a hawk to make sure her sister leaves her be, which she is. I don't anticipate a good outcome. If this is a problem at 2 months I worry about when she lays eggs, if she can even be saved.

I’m not sure there is much the vet can do for a prolapse in a 2 month old pullet. Just keep it moist with vaseline petroleum jelly or hydrocortisone cream. I would not use BluKote on it. Do you have any pictures?

An update: I had to have her put to sleep. It was worth letting her go peacefully after such a traumatic incident, and it turned out that what caused not just the prolapse, but her slow growing too, was a tumor. I guess it's better to know there was nothing that could be done and that it was nothing spreadable.

Back
Top Bottom