2 Month Old Silkies, Too Early To Tell Sex?

I have 12 buff silkies that are 4 1/2 weeks old and since I am only legally supposed to have six (and I have five polish that accidentally came home in the same box ;) ) I am hoping that it doesn't take long to start determining gender. I am new too, wish I could help...I have read some people saying it could take six months or more! I do have quite a few that also do that chest bump dance...its so cute, but I hope it's not just the males who do it otherwise I have quite a few fluffy little dudes!

Any ways, since yours are older then mine I hope you post updates when you figure out what gender they really are, and maybe it will help me :) I do have a few of mine that are starting to develop combs with a dark red tint...I think I am going to mark which ones have a more pronounced comb and see if thats any indication later on of gender?

Started crowing. Liz is now lawrence.

It seems to me (no expert) that the comb size was remarkably bigger even young. My two boys don't d the chest bump thing even at 3 weeks. Maybe little girls has a very insignificant comb. The boys are the black and white and ginger the buff is my pullet.
[/IMG][/IMG]
Still no crowing from the white one but his comb keeps growing so I am pretty confident Marilyn will be Marvin

It seems to me (no expert) that the comb size was remarkably bigger even young. My two boys don't d the chest bump thing even at 3 weeks. Maybe little girls has a very insignificant comb. The boys are the black and white and ginger the buff is my pullet.
[/IMG][/IMG]
Still no crowing from the white one but his comb keeps growing so I am pretty confident Marilyn will be Marvin

How old are they? I have 2 that are about 8 weeks old. A white and a black.

heather - they were born in July so now 4 months ish.. liz- now Lawrence the first, Marilyn- leaning towards marvin; and ginger
Lawrence and Marvin now share a bachelor coop in view of their sister.. but not in with her or the other laaaaaaaaaadies :)

These are my chicks. The 2 smaller ones are about 2mos. They both have a flat comb spot. They have me confused lol. I have another silkie, also posted (not sure which pics, but the bigger one with waddles) I was told she was a pullet (here on Byc & by the seller, had a male with her but only bought the female) and she also has this type of comb.

edited to add: the pullet is in pics 6&7. The rest are of the silkies I'm Wondering about

heather - they were born in July  so now 4 months ish..   liz- now Lawrence the first, Marilyn- leaning towards marvin; and ginger
Lawrence and Marvin now share a bachelor coop in view of their sister.. but not in with her or the other laaaaaaaaaadies :)

Last edited:
it is really so hard to tell.. one of the silkie owner said wait for crowing or the first egg.. they are really really cute.. I love their big eyes.. and fuzzy little selves.. there are a lot of experts who may be able to tell..

Back
Top Bottom