2 Month Olds, no idea on half there breeds.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RandyDR, Nov 15, 2011.

1. RandyDR

RandyDR Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    Delta, Colorado
    I know some of these are EE and some are Barred Rocks, I think I got 1 cockerel barred rock, most of these should be pullets though. Half of them have feathered feet, but I don't know half of there breed. So any help would be great deciding what some of these are lol. Thanks in advance [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And these all came from the picture below, I only lost 2 out of 27 since I got them, 25 left from this shipment.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking [​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
  3. RandyDR

Aug 10, 2011
    Delta, Colorado
    Quote:Thanks for that, Hopefully I won't have too many males, otherwise I'll just get more females to handle it. I don't like getting rid of my birds so I'd rather add than subtract lol. I'm colorblind so deciding what's what is sometimes hard for me to do. [​IMG] but thank you for your help. I like the gold laced brahma, [​IMG] I think I only have 1 of them.

EDIT: Also one or two of the black and white ones look the same as the others, but like 2 of them do not have feathered legs, do all light brahmas have feathered feet or are these two a different breed?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    All of your EEs are looking Male: the red and grey one, the all-white one, and the mostly red one. Only one of your Barred Rocks looks male (the lightest one).

I would say that you definitely need to get at least 20 to 30 more guarenteed females. Otherwise your roos will start fighting and/or will injure your hens by over-mating them. Each young roo will comfortably handle a bevy of 10 females. They'll pirate girls from each other, but it'll be fine as long as you have enough of them to go around.

5. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Besides the Barred Rock roo, I believe I see three other roos (all EEs). The black and white one with the reddish color all over it's wings and back is a roo and the all white EE is a roo I think. Also, there is an EE in there that I can't see clearly, but it looks like it has splashy color and is more red than brown...I think that one is a roo also. As for breeds, I see a lot of EEs, Barred Rocks, and at least one Golden Laced Wyandotte I think. I don't know what the black ones are though...I can't see them well enough to tell. Not sure on most of the black and white ones either since I can't tell what kind of combs they have. Although, I do think that you might have at least one Light Brahma in there (black and white with feathered legs). Hope that helps some. [​IMG]

ETA: I think I might see a Buff Brahma in there also.

ETA again: I think I see another EE roo in there...the grey and red one. Can't tell if any of the others are roos or not yet though besides the ones I already listed.

6. RandyDR

Aug 10, 2011
    Delta, Colorado
    Quote:Well I'm going to hope that there are only 4-5 males, cause these are all hatchery stock, ordered the rainbow layer package from McMurray, so if they turn out mostly male, They'll be hearing from me [​IMG] The barred rocks are eventually going to an area with my other barred rocks on my farm, but since there still young I'm keeping them together with the others right now.

Unfortunately I don't really know enough people that have chickens around here to go buy fully grown hens, I'd have to drive a few hours in most directions lol [​IMG] So I'll wait til there older to be sure of there sex before I do that.

7. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    your buff and gold laced are cochins

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd keep an eye on that buff bird with feathered feet, I know it's early but am I seeing saddle type feathers?

9. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I see Brahmas(Light and Dark), Barred Rocks, EE's, and Cochins (Buff and Golden Laced) in there. The all black chicken is likely a male, but none of the pictures are clear enough to tell you what breed it is. From your chick pictures, all the white chicks with feather legs were your Brahmas. The buff is a cochin. And quite a few EE's in there. I see the black chicks in the box, but it's still not enough to tell you what the breed is.

The white EE with the brownish/reddish/gold streaks is a boy.

The Buff Cochin is likely a boy.

In the second pic, the light BR is a boy.

In the second pic, the darker red EE (the one with the black and gold hackles, and black lines down the back, with the head down in the kind of top middle of the pic) is likely a boy.

The lighter red EE with the blue tail is a pullet.

It's very hard to tell breeds and boy/girl in group pictures. It would be much easier if you singled out a few at a time and got better shots, but this is what I can tell from the pictures you posted. Hope it helps!

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i see at least 4 roos if not more. its really hard to tell their but you have ee's, br, some brahamas (feathered legs), and cochins

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by