2 new chicks

Im excited to see how the one with feathers on iit's feet Will turn it. I really don't want a roo. How long before the roos start to crow Im most likely going to have to re home him

The one in the pic didn't start until almost six months. And not until after our weird little whiny silkie did it first. I think he was like "Uhhh....no. You are not going to crow unless I crow!" Our silkie harldy ever does. But he is second in command as far as boys go, and way far down the ladder as far as everyone in the coop!

I don't want a roo bc of the noise. So I'm thinking I'll keep him til he makes noise. Or long enough to introduce the hen to the other 2 chickens with the roo then find him a new home. Or if I can trade my roo for a hen of same age it size.

Im excited to see how the one with feathers on iit's feet Will turn it. I really don't want a roo. How long before the roos start to crow Im most likely going to have to re home him
I'm curious about the feathery-footed one, too.
Some roos seem to take a very long time to crow, over 6 months. Mine started at less than 3 months old.

I am amazed at how on the Craig's list for my area people think that they can trade a mix breed rooster for 2 or more laying hens.
th.gif
Of course I don't know if it ever happens, since I don't respond to the ad. But yes, a rooster is worth less than a hen most the time, due to the fact that they don't lay eggs and most people can't have them in the city. I know the only way I would ever trade a hen for a rooster is if the rooster was a really good quality pure bred that I just can't find but need one of. Most my extra roosters go to a flock swap and if that doesn't work, then they go in the freezer.

Good luck, but I'd wait to make sure of who is and aint a rooster first.
big_smile.png

. I know the only way I would ever trade a hen for a rooster is if the rooster was a really good quality pure bred that I just can't find but need one of.
X2 I paid the same amount I did for a pullet for a cockerel from one very well known breeder, and you bet it was good quality. I see people list HQ rooster for $15, I don't see how they will ever sell them. I paid that for a SQ RIR bantam cockerel.

not to long ago i found 13 hens for free on craigslist, and luckily i work and know alot of others with hens and roos that are willing to trade me if i come out and chase down the one i want. and the person who gave me the chicks in the first place said i could trade it out if it was a roo, but i dont really talk to that person anymore since they no longer work with me,

Back
Top Bottom