2 New Ducklings

Sue S

Songster
Mar 7, 2018
Pa
Advice needed... I rescued a female duck a few months ago & my flock has " somewhat" accepted her into the flock but she still is the " outcast". During the day they free range all day & Pippa ( my rescued female ) is always wondering around by herself & hasn't " made friends " with the other ducks & I,ve recently started keeping Pippa separated from the flock at night because she was getting bullied pretty bad at night, getting mated to much & not letting her eat. I felt bad that she wasn't " bounding" with the flock. Yesterday when I was at Tractor Supply ( I had no intensions of doing this ) but they had ducklings, so yep I got 2!!! The ducklings are in a tote in the pen with her, she is a very sweet duck & I knew she won't hurt them & Yes, I introduced her to the ducklings & stayed in the pen for awhile to make sure everything was okay. She is still unsure about them when I checked on them this morning but everything is going fine. Should I keep her in the pen for a couple days with them so she gets used to them??? Will she bound with them??? I'm hoping that she bounds with them, I felt bad that she was such a loner.

If these ducklings are still young they may need some heat. I don't believe I would let these ducklings out around the other ducks they can injure or kill young ducklings. Just as you would introduce all ducks to a flock best to do so gradually over weeks with fencing between them. I'd keep a close eye on Pippa also. Most ducks won't accept ducklings as their own if they didn't hatch them. I'd keep Pippa and duckings close though so she begins to bond with them.

If these ducklings are still young they may need some heat. I don't believe I would let these ducklings out around the other ducks they can injure or kill young ducklings. Just as you would introduce all ducks to a flock best to do so gradually over weeks with fencing between them. I'd keep a close eye on Pippa also. Most ducks won't accept ducklings as their own if they didn't hatch them. I'd keep Pippa and duckings close though so she begins to bond with them.
I'm not planning on introducing the ducklings to the other ducks until they are older, the ducklings are only 3 days old & my plan is to keep them in the tote & in the pen with Pippa for about a week then take them out of the tote so they can get to run around in the pen with her, if she starts to bully them then I'll keep them away from her til they get a little bigger. It's been in the mid 60's here at night, they seem to be doing fine with the temp but if the temp drops, I'll definitely put in a heat lamp.

Advice needed... I rescued a female duck a few months ago & my flock has " somewhat" accepted her into the flock but she still is the " outcast". During the day they free range all day & Pippa ( my rescued female ) is always wondering around by herself & hasn't " made friends " with the other ducks & I,ve recently started keeping Pippa separated from the flock at night because she was getting bullied pretty bad at night, getting mated to much & not letting her eat. I felt bad that she wasn't " bounding" with the flock. Yesterday when I was at Tractor Supply ( I had no intensions of doing this ) but they had ducklings, so yep I got 2!!! The ducklings are in a tote in the pen with her, she is a very sweet duck & I knew she won't hurt them & Yes, I introduced her to the ducklings & stayed in the pen for awhile to make sure everything was okay. She is still unsure about them when I checked on them this morning but everything is going fine. Should I keep her in the pen for a couple days with them so she gets used to them??? Will she bound with them??? I'm hoping that she bounds with them, I felt bad that she was such a loner.
Wow lucky! 💕 I’ve been calling everywhere local looking for ducklings for about 5 weeks. Tractor Supply told us 3 weeks ago that they only have ducklings available around April and won’t have more till next year. Rural King seems to never have any either. Every place I’ve searched online will only sell at a minimum of 10… 😔 We only want to add 2 females to our family. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Every place I’ve searched online will only sell at a minimum of 10… 😔 We only want to add 2 females to our family. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
I will see ducklings for sale occasionally on craigslist or Facebook marketplace.

Back
Top Bottom