2 new girls barely eating anything

Jenjens

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
IL
I had 2 new girls added to the flock 2 weeks ago. I have seen one eat a bit in the morning, but never saw the other one eat. They do free range. Every night, I have checked their crops, and they are empty. I have 3 feeding stations so they have options without being chased away from the others) I Think they are sad because they probably miss their friends from the farm they came from. I hand-fed for a few nights (which was a big deal because they were very afraid of me for a week) but I don't want that to be a habit because I want them to eat on their own. Any advice please? They are between 1-3 years old. One is an Ancona and the other is a australorope. They get bullied pretty bad at nightime, (but they all get bullied when it's nighttime roosting time) but pretty much are left alone all day from the others. Thank you!

I had 2 new girls added to the flock 2 weeks ago. I have seen one eat a bit in the morning, but never saw the other one eat. They do free range. Every night, I have checked their crops, and they are empty. I have 3 feeding stations so they have options without being chased away from the others) I Think they are sad because they probably miss their friends from the farm they came from. I hand-fed for a few nights (which was a big deal because they were very afraid of me for a week) but I don't want that to be a habit because I want them to eat on their own. Any advice please? They are between 1-3 years old. One is an Ancona and the other is a australorope. They get bullied pretty bad at nightime, (but they all get bullied when it's nighttime roosting time) but pretty much are left alone all day from the others. Thank you!
Okay, there are a couple things here that could be going on but until you determine it i suggest you quarantine your birds. When you introduce new animals from a farm, even if it’s thought to be clean, they can bring diseases over to your other birds. I suggest after that sending in some fecal samples etc to a vet and have them tested for any possible diseases. When moving, the birds can get really stressed which can cause disease or disease like symptoms. Try to give them vitamins or force feed them. Try to find new feeds that they might like, if needed contact their other farm and see what feed they use.,

Thank you for the reply. I cannot quarantine them though because I have no where to put them. I have been putting ACV in the water. But of course, the decide to drink from puddles. I guess I will try to keep handing feeding them until things settle down. Thanks.

Lose the ACV....or at least have another waterer with plain water available.
I would leave the new birds in the run while the others range,
then they can eat and drink without being harassed.

They aren't sad and missing the farm and their 'friends',
they are stressed at being in a new place where they are being picked on.

How did you integrate the new birds?
How many existing birds?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics, inside and out, would garner some viable solutions.

I had them separated for a week between fences. I know it should have been longer, but I had no nesting boxes on the other side of the fence, so I had to babysit with them all together as well when I could tell they needed to lay eggs. They all are out together now. They usually stick together (the 2 new girls) and keep to themselves. 7 birds total. No run. They have access to the entire backyard. Coop is probably about 9X10? I am sorry cannot provide pictures. By the time I leave for work it is still dark and when I get home it is dark. ( I have a long commute) I will have to wait until the weekend.

When they were separated they didn't eat much either. They were from an organic farm. They were fed organic crumble, but it looked like powder honestly. They have access to FF and crumbles and pellets right now.

Back
Top Bottom