2 new hens not laying

HeavyJ

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2020
Hey so I started with chickens back in March so I am new. I had 9 but about a week ago a coon found a weak spot in my coop and I lost 4, fixed the coop. The whole family was upset so j said I would get a couple that were already laying instead of babies again. I found someone selling some year old laying hens want there they looked kind of rough but my daughter was with me so I picked up 2.
They get along ok with the younger ones but they don't like to share much which I understand, but these chickens have not played 1 egg yet and I have had them for 4 days. They have been more active the last couple days than the first but the don't explore like the little guys. I am not sure if the are not old enough or something else is up any help would be appreciated!!!

IMG_20200611_164115_MP.jpg
IMG_20200611_164055_MP.jpg

Chickens hate change, and moving to a new home will generally cause them to take a break in the laying cycle. They may even molt before restarting laying.

Ok thanks, they are getting better and more acclimated to their new home they finally starting going in upper coop at night on their own, but not roosting like the rest for some reason. But the stick to the run most of the time not big on exploring like the youngins.

Ok thanks, they are getting better and more acclimated to their new home they finally starting going in upper coop at night on their own, but not roosting like the rest for some reason. But the stick to the run most of the time not big on exploring like the youngins.

If they came from a commercial set up or a big farm, they may not have had roosts to use and so don't understand what to do with them. They'll probably figure it out over time by watching the younger birds, or you can try putting them on the roost to show them directly.

They look rough...and combs are pale, am guessing they weren't laying before you got them. Usually when bringing home a hen actively in lay you will get an egg the first day, one that was already in process before they were moved....after that they might not lay for a while until acclimated to new place.

Back
Top Bottom