2 new light brahma hens!

Cecisflock

The Backyard Brahmas
Nov 19, 2020
Des Moines, Iowa
We are about a week away from getting 2 standard light Brahma hens. First off, I need names. I like woodsy and earthy names
We already have:
Willow
Birch
Lilac
Rugger
Bean
Twinkle
Tulip
Daytona
Clover šŸŒˆ

Also any tips for intigaration? The new hens are about 2 years old I believe. Not sure how human friendly they are but they are very social with other birds. Bean isn't very kind to our existing flock, so just looking out for the new gals.

We are about a week away from getting 2 standard light Brahma hens. First off, I need names. I like woodsy and earthy names
We already have:
Willow
Birch
Lilac
Rugger
Bean
Twinkle
Tulip
Daytona
Clover šŸŒˆ

Also any tips for intigaration? The new hens are about 2 years old I believe. Not sure how human friendly they are but they are very social with other birds. Bean isn't very kind to our existing flock, so just looking out for the new gals.
Maybe you would like Coffee. Blends well with Bean. Or maybe some flower names like Dandelion or Poppy.

Also, for integration, I like to quarantine any new birds due to biosecurity. If you are planning to quarantine and then do the "see no touch" process, its the safest way to go.

If you are planning to quarantine and then do the "see no touch" process, its the safest way to go.
They are currently in the quarantine process at their previous home. She practices strict biosecurity. I have a large dog crate I can place in the coop but I feel bad they would have limited access to all of the enrichment we have in the coop.

They are currently in the quarantine process at their previous home. She practices strict biosecurity. I have a large dog crate I can place in the coop but I feel bad they would have limited access to all of the enrichment we have in the coop.
Do not quote me on this, but I am pretty sure that some diseases only show up when the birds are under stress. This is what makes it really useful to quarantine when they are in a new setting. Moving birds to a new site is definitely a stressor. But yes, I also practice strict biosecurity, which I think should actually be a quite common practice. Anyhow, hopefully someone more experienced on this topic would jump in.

Another thing to add is that I like to use a scape goat. It is usually one of the cockerels from a hatch.

Do you free range? How large is your coop?

We free range for about 5 hours a day, the rest is in our 128 sqft run and I believe our coop is 80-90 sqrft. We can't have any roos so no scapegoat for us.
Okay. If you choose not to quarantine apart from the time that the (breeder?) is, it is entirely your choice. I do choose to quarantine and do the see no touch process, which includes deworming any new birds as well.

I recommend adding them in while they are free ranging. I also set up more feeders and waterers. Assuming your ventilation is appropriate, your coop sounds like a dream!

If you choose not to quarantine apart from the time that the (breeder?)
She is a breeder who bought out another breeder in OK. He was going bankrupt and had beautiful stock. We will most likely qt these 2 for about a week. Dewormer has been administered.
I recommend adding them in while they are free ranging. I also set up more feeders and waterers. Assuming your ventilation is appropriate, your coop sounds like a dream!
It is a dream! and thank you! good tip.

She is a breeder who bought out another breeder in OK. He was going bankrupt and had beautiful stock. We will most likely qt these 2 for about a week. Dewormer has been administered.

It is a dream! and thank you! good tip.
Okay. I like to quarantine for a month and then use the see no touch set up for a few weeks, but if you trust the breeder, again, its your choice. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom