2 pairs of indian fantails - breeding questions

quails2018

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2018
Hi, I recently purchased 2 pairs of indian fantails. I knew nothing about fantails or anything. I started to read up on them, but still have some unasnwered questions. I was wondering if someone could help me.

1) do you have to seperate out the males?
2) How do you get them to breed and lay eggs?
3) How do you start to tame them?

all help would be greatly appreciated!
thanks, Joshua Freeman

Hi, I recently purchased 2 pairs of indian fantails. I knew nothing about fantails or anything. I started to read up on them, but still have some unasnwered questions. I was wondering if someone could help me.

1) do you have to seperate out the males?
2) How do you get them to breed and lay eggs?
3) How do you start to tame them?

all help would be greatly appreciated!
thanks, Joshua Freeman
Hi Joshua. Nice choice of pigeons. I have a pair of female garden fantails and they are beautiful! So long as you do have two pairs as in 2 males and 2 females technically they should all get along unless one male wants both females or is alpha dominant and a bit of a bully but I think they should be OK all together. So long as there is both sexes you shouldn't have to worry too much about breeding, as nature intended eggs will follow! Just make sure they have a nice little area with a nest bowl and nesting materials. And how to tame them is a good question. I'd say it's really down to the individual pigeons nature as wether to trust humans or not. A handreared pigeon will almost be certain to be tame but one that is purely raised by its parents will be alot more stand offish. There is always an exception to the rule though. You can try to get them to eat a few treats out of your hand for a start and see how they go. Raw unsalted peanuts seem to be a good treat as is safflower and shelled sunflower seeds. Be calm around them, no sudden movements and let them get used to you and see you as the protector and food source! Good luck with them. It would be nice to see a picture if you could.

Hi Joshua. Nice choice of pigeons. I have a pair of female garden fantails and they are beautiful! So long as you do have two pairs as in 2 males and 2 females technically they should all get along unless one male wants both females or is alpha dominant and a bit of a bully but I think they should be OK all together. So long as there is both sexes you shouldn't have to worry too much about breeding, as nature intended eggs will follow! Just make sure they have a nice little area with a nest bowl and nesting materials. And how to tame them is a good question. I'd say it's really down to the individual pigeons nature as wether to trust humans or not. A handreared pigeon will almost be certain to be tame but one that is purely raised by its parents will be alot more stand offish. There is always an exception to the rule though. You can try to get them to eat a few treats out of your hand for a start and see how they go. Raw unsalted peanuts seem to be a good treat as is safflower and shelled sunflower seeds. Be calm around them, no sudden movements and let them get used to you and see you as the protector and food source! Good luck with them. It would be nice to see a picture if you could.
100% agree! Great advice! :thumbsup especially on the picture, we need pics. :D

I'll send more pictures later as I'm on my iPad

Attachments

• 20190809_161628.jpg
    20190809_161628.jpg
    689.7 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom