2 problems today!

chickencrazylady

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 29, 2011
Problem #1
This morning I went into the coop and found my white Silkie Roo frozen to the coop floor in a low nesting box. I had noticed yesterday that his feathers on his face and neck were really frosty and icy, I just figured that he was getting them wet when he eas drinking water, but this morning he was stuck to the floor with ice on his back, neck and his long tail feathers. I brought him into our heater shop and placed him in with his old hen mate. Doing much better now.

Problem #2

I have noticed that my Silkie roo limping and favouring his left leg, so today when I brought him into the shop, I was finally able to wash his feet and wrap him in a towel, while my daughter held on his side and check out his foot, his back nail had grown in a circle under his foot and into the bottom of his of sole. I was able to clip it and dig out the nail from is sole. Soaked his feet in betadine and will wait and see. For the foreseeable future Silkie-boy is in the shop with Holly.

The weather is very cold up here at the moment, the 9 hens were fine. I can only think that when my Silkie roo was getting a drink of water that his neck feathers were dipping in the waterer and he was shaking off and spreading it everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom