2 problems

Thebossbaby

Chirping
Jun 19, 2017
I have two big problems, and I think they might be connected. So first off, I hVe 15 6 month old chickens who sent laying. I live in South Carolina and right now it's about 55 degrees outside. I read somewhere that chickens don't kilt there first year so... Why aren't I getting eggs? Also, my chorus have a big shed like coop with 4 nesting boxes. They have a big roost to the right of the coop, you can't see t in the pic but just immagine. Yet they still roost right on the nesting boxes so the are always full of poop, I empty them all the time but even when they are clean my end don't lay. What do I do to at least make them stop roosting up there

image.jpg

Sorry for all the typos. Chickens arnt laying and they are not suppose to molt yet so... And also about 6 chickens do roost on the roost but the rest won't

I think your problems may be easily solvable :)
Where is your roost and how high is it? It always need to be higher than their nesting boxes so you may need to raise it or make sure they can reach it if it is too high. Maybe a step up to it. - just got your update- Maybe not enough roosting bar? Bossy chickens will make more docile chickens not want to bother with them. Can you send us a photo of roost?
And patience. Depending on the breeds. They may be a little slow to lay. Mine were... Are yours squatting? Egg song? Messing with their nesting boxes or any nesting material? Also may be laying outside of the boxes. Chickens are sneekey. They may have a secret nest.

Also fat red combs... another sign of maturity.
I think I heard the roost room ratio is 1 foot per bird. I have 3 hens that rule 6'. I had to add another roost in another part of the coop but it solved the anxiety problem. Now all go in peace (and QUIET!!!!) to bed in the eve. Yeeeehaaa!

hey guys sorry I haven't responded. its been snowing. good news tho!!! I got 5 eggs yesterday and 3 the day before. those darn things waited till it snowed to lay:} still roosting on the nesting boxes tho. my roost is about as high as the nesting box. I can make it taller and ill make another so there is plenty of room, but still. how am I gonna get them to change there roost spot? I think chickens pick one out and they like to stick to it. how could I convince them to change? another thing, they played the eggs on the ground in the hay. vi don't want that to become a habit. should I move the eggs to the nesting boxes so they see them when they roost?

hey guys sorry I haven't responded. its been snowing. good news tho!!! I got 5 eggs yesterday and 3 the day before. those darn things waited till it snowed to lay:} still roosting on the nesting boxes tho. my roost is about as high as the nesting box. I can make it taller and ill make another so there is plenty of room, but still. how am I gonna get them to change there roost spot? I think chickens pick one out and they like to stick to it. how could I convince them to change? another thing, they played the eggs on the ground in the hay. vi don't want that to become a habit. should I move the eggs to the nesting boxes so they see them when they roost?
Maybe just move the nest bins lower?
Put fake egg in the nests.
Get rid of that crate bottom on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom