2 questions please

Patience! Yeah right! I know what you mean about your EE, mine was hatched the first week of May and today I just found her gorgeous green egg!! Woohooo, along time coming but sooo worth the wait!!
celebrate.gif

Good news......I thought her eye was gone.....felt like mush when I was putting the drops in and I couldn't see an actual eye. Now it is real green (bruised) around the eye but there is an EYE!!!
big_smile.png
I truly thought the eye got pecked out completely, but it looks perfectly normal now - overnight she opened it.

I will try the time out thing......I don't have 2 coups, but I'll see if I can get a screen door rigged on their door to their outside pen.....that way when they are locked outside they can see her in the coup. Thing is that when I let her in the pen by herself and lock them out......I'll come back in five minutes and she's back sitting up on her roost. I don't think she even takes advantage of having the coup to herself for very long at all. She is very attached to me and will stay on the ground when I'm in there (and they are not).....but when I leave she goes right back up there.

Anyone ever have a chicken like this? Will she eventually get braver? Maybe I can put one or 2 hens in the coup with her and remvoe her roost?

I wonder what is going on with that rooster. Usually they are more protective of the hens and the hens are the ones that are jealous.
I don't like how vicious he is and I would keep an eye on him for sure, I certainly would not trust him around any new chicks if you let a broody hatch any.
I usually find the flock gets use to eachother but not if they are doing that kind of damage.
If your hen is really sweet I would actually seriously consider a new rooster if anything.
I don't mean to be harsh but I ruthlessly weed out my roosters, I will only keep gentlemen around my girls and his attitude will wear off on to the hens, they will never accept her if he won't.
I hope her eye is doing better. Alot of people give the one that needs to be seperated another hen for company so they won't be alone but you would need to make sure the hen is nice.
Sometimes a chicken will keep pecking at an injury just because so you should probably wait until there are no visible cuts and then add a friend in.
Chickens are flock animals and cannot live alone for long.

Back
Top Bottom