2 questions shade? and vertical coop space

kelliepulido

Songster
11 Years
Mar 18, 2008
st.john's mi
I have a coop that is about 8ft.hi so i want to run a ledge around the one wall about 1/2 way up to add some use of my vertical space maybe 3-4ft. wide and about 10ft.long.Then some roosts maybe ladder type up to the ceiling.Can I then use that added space on the measuring of coop space per bird?I also was wondering about any ideas for shade in my run it has no trees and will be an area about 60ft.by 60ft. behind the barn.

I'm going to make the assumption that if they're using the space, then sure, it can be counted. I'm not sure how well a "loft" would be used however... Don't think they'd consider it ground.

As for shade. You can use shade cloth, such as that used on greenhouses. Or just pin a tarp up across part of your run. Just make sure it's angled so that it sheds water away from the run.

well mine all sseem to enjoy sitting on top of the nest boxes that line the wall and that is about 5ft.ft.above the ground.I had that built before I found out that everybody would fly up there and sit on it.they all free range for awhile then come in the coop for a nap and they hang out on the shelve on the t0p of the nest boxes etc.then they all go back out its like that all day long in and out napping,scratching crowing,making hay eetc. those darn roosters ... eating,argueing chasing etc.

My run is covered. I have a fenced in area off my run "a chicken yard". I live in Florida. When it gets hot here in the summer it stays hot. I put the coops under a tree for shade to help keep them cooler. There are pictures on my BYC Page.

When people build shelves around the perimeter of the coop, chickens do not seem to USE them much except for sitting/roosting, so I do not think it's wise to count on them really increasing the space that the chickens percieve themselves to have available. They do make *some* difference I'm sure, but nothing at all like the same area of genuine floor space.

Also, with shelves plus a ladder style roost you may run real short of space for *you* to be able to navigate around in there
wink.png

A shed-type roof for part of it (or a little shade shed built inside the run, and/or shadecloth, would help with the other problem. Highly recommend shadecloth as opposed to a tarp or canvas or whatnot, as it is less inclined to flap in wind.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom