2 questions!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chick1043, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    #1!!
    I have a hen who was in a nest this morning and is now perching right near the nests very puffed up like. If she eggbound? She didn't lay any eggs this morning and I don't know if she has or has not laid any eggs for the past few days..

#2!!
    This question isn't so serious..I picked up my Dark Brahma Bantam who is 1 year old since the 9th of this month and when I put her down about 6 feathers came off of her..I picked her up again and started very gently seeing if her feathers were loose. Is this molting? I checked for mites and she didn't have them..Thanks! Any info would be great! :)

2. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Hello!

#1 - The people on here say that the first line treatment for egg bound hens is a 30 minute soak in warm water. You can also sit her under a heat lamp if she can't tolerate the bath. I don't know for sure if she is egg bound, but if she's all puffed up and straining by the nesting boxes, it sounds like a possibility, and a bath can't hurt.

#2 - Can't help you there, mine are so young they have never molted!

Good luck!

3. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Thanks. Update! She's still perching in the same spot..:/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by