2 rabbit does nesting and pulling hair WOOHOOO!!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by dipence71, Apr 13, 2011.

1. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    I breed 3 of my does (rex mix for meat) I have:
    1 nesting and pulling hair.
    1 hiding in the nest box (not actually nesting yet)
    1 I knew prob didn't take so re-breed her today
    Plus I bought a pair of mini Holland lops for my 13 DD and she was already breed and she is nesting and pulling hair

so hopefully soon I will have bunny babies!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I am so excited!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Great!! I can't wait to have my first litters. [​IMG]

3. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    [​IMG] Yep, soon you'll have LOTS of buns! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    I noticed a lot of people breeding rabbits on here. What do you do with them other than eat them? Do you sell them?

5. dipence71

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    Yes, the mini holland lops are for pets and my daughters 4-h project so depending on how many the doe has they will be sold.

The meat rabbit if someone wants to buy them I will sell them (they are still adorable for pets too) What doesn't sell goes to freezer camp.

6. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I have a litter of Holland Lops right now. Mine are about 3 weeks old, and sooo cute! (BTW, they are called just "Holland Lops," no "mini" [​IMG] )

Good kindling vibes!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I'm waiting for my Lionhead buck to mature so I can breed him to my two does. Working on adding more.

8. dipence71

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    Quote:Oops my bad. I just went by what the lady we bought them from said. I didn't know if there was a big breed and mini breed kinda like large fowl and bantam lol

Learn something new every day

9. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    You aren't the first to find lop breed names a bit confusing. There's the English Lop; a big rabbit that is seen much more often in rabbit shows than in the pet market. The French Lop has been around, like, forever, and has the type that most people expect to see when they think "lop eared rabbit." French are big, too, 10 pounds or more. The Mini Lop is more or less a scaled-down French Lop, and weighs 5-6 pounds, plus or minus a little.The Mini Lop was introduced in the US in the mid 70's, and gained widespread popularity in a relatively short time. With the name "Mini Lop," you might expect that they'd be the smallest of the lop breeds, but they aren't. Shortly after the Mini Lop was introduced, the Holland Lop also arrived here, but it took a little longer to achieve "name recognition." At roughly 3-4 pounds, Hollands (and their long-haired spin-off, American Fuzzy Lops) are the smallest Lops. They are hugely popular; most of the shows that I have attended have had more Hollands entered than any other single breed. The Holland has a lot of Netherland Dwarf in its background, and also employs the dwarfing gene to achieve the compact animal described in the breed standard. This can make identification really tricky, as "false dwarf" Hollands can be as large as smallish Mini Lops. The details of the two breeds are different, though you might need to know both breeds fairly well to know which is a large Holland, and which a small Mini!

Of course, when naming currently recognized Lop breeds, I mustn't overlook the Velveteen Lop, a breed that is still "in the works." It has English type, but is smaller; it also has rex fur. And depending on which group gets their act together first, it is possible that when the Lionhead finally makes its way into the ARBA standard, it may "officially" have lop ears, too!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by