2 remaining chickens won't leave coop

tyeen

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2018
About 3 months ago I had three chickens...A barred rock and 2 easter eggers. They all got along great. A neighbor dog got loose and killed the barred rock, the matriarch. Since then the other two rarely leave the nesting area of their coop. They have an attached run which is closed unless I let them out to roam the part of our backyard that has a 48" moveable fence attached to the entrance/exit from the run. We think maybe they are still fearful and unsure since the barred rock Phaedra was the boss and they did whatever she suggested. I have tried to lure them out with treats which sometimes works. The weather is getting colder and they are just getting more reluctant to leave the nest area. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

About 3 months ago I had three chickens...A barred rock and 2 easter eggers. They all got along great. A neighbor dog got loose and killed the barred rock, the matriarch. Since then the other two rarely leave the nesting area of their coop. They have an attached run which is closed unless I let them out to roam the part of our backyard that has a 48" moveable fence attached to the entrance/exit from the run. We think maybe they are still fearful and unsure since the barred rock Phaedra was the boss and they did whatever she suggested. I have tried to lure them out with treats which sometimes works. The weather is getting colder and they are just getting more reluctant to leave the nest area. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
Have they ever laid an egg before?

Yes, they will all be 3 years old in April 2021. They are just recently recovered from a molt so I figured they might be a little adventurous. They don't actually stay in the nest, but roost on the bars in the upper nest box area.

Yes, they can still hear the dog which barks whenever it sees anything! Very good point! I do worry about them roosting all night and day basically in the dark, but you have given me a few ideas. I think the neighbor dogs are out in their run more often since it's cooler out, so the chickens see and hear them a lot more. Perhaps I can move one of my vehicles or a bamboo fence or something to make a better barrier. Got my gears turning!

Another good point, sourland. We live in an area where incessant dog barking is tolerated. I'm lucky I do have a yard large enough where I can possible re-locate the coop. I am planning right now! Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom