2 roo's 2 pullets is this managable? help please...

If you only have enough room for 4 then definitely rehome the boys. 2 or 3 hens to a roo is just not enough. They can actually end up killing your hens from stress and over mating. Remember that the roos won't be happy either, they'll feel very frustrated all the time and once they get old enough they'll constantly be on edge because there's another competing male in what they see as 'their' territory with 'their' girls. It's better off for everyone if you give the roos to people who have plenty of hens, at least 9 or 10 to a roo. If you want you could get two more girls (but be careful about introductions). I just bought two new girls (A silkie and a Brahma) and tried to introduce them to my bigger girls BIG MISTAKE (;-_-) now I have two house chickens
tongue.png

I just had to get rid of one of my roos today. I had 2 roos and 6 hens. 3 days ago, the 2 roos started fighting and one got kinda beat up really good. So i put him in my injured pen and found someone to give him to. These 2 were father and son (not that it matters) and had been raised together so to speak. I noticed and have talked to others that swear that the rain changes roos behavior. I dont know if it is true our not but sounds interesting and it was raining the day mine started fighting. maybe there is a connection. IDK

Thanks once again everyone. I'm going to advertise stripe today and hopefully we can find him a good home!! pity though as he is sooo cute! we are going to wait a couple more weeks with popcorn as not too sure if he is a roo!! he looks a little rooish but no where near the rooish look of stripe!! hopefully we can get a couple of pullet chicks the same age as ours and take our time getting them used to each other...

Back
Top Bottom