2 roos 8 hens HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chick fever, Dec 3, 2012.

1. chick fever

chick fever Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2012
    In the spring im more getting chickens, 3 BO , 3SS , 3 welsumers i want 2 roosters of these breeds wondering if there is a way to do this.

2. Sparky2133

Sparky2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

If they are not raised together (and even then, they will get into squabbles) they will fight. I would divide them up equally.

Hope this helps :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Animol

Animol Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    England
    I have ten roosters and six are free range (in our back garden). I've only once ever had a problem with my roosters fighting and that was when I had two in the same cage togeather (back when I was a newbie and didn't know they were both male) when one killed the other. Ever since then I have hatched and raised my own chicks and have never had a problem with having them togeather because as long as they have enough space they tend to have their own ranking order and the loser can run and hide in the bushes.
    The only other time I have had problems is when I introduced my main rooster to a new adult rooster when they constantly fought through the bars, eventually I seperated them with one in a cage at the top af the garden and the other at the bottom and slowly they got use to eachother and now go pretty much everywhere togeather.
    As long as they have enough space and know eachother then I don't see why there would be a problem. You can raise them togeather in captivity until they are about eight weeks oldish when you should let them into a larger space in case any fights occur.

1 person likes this.
  4. chick fever

Dec 3, 2012
    im ordering them as chicks

5. chick fever

Dec 3, 2012
    i for sure want a BO rooster how many hens can he fertilize cause i might hacth some

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    One rooster can fertilise quite a few hens' eggs in one day. I've heard numbers like 15, 25, even 45! Don't know if that's true though. After one successful mating the hen will lay fertile eggs for up to 3 weeks, so if you have only a few hens with the roo and they let him mate with them your eggs will very likely be fertile.

1 person likes this.
  7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I had one rooster with 8 hens and he bared the backs on his favorites and, in general, demonstrated that he needed a whole lot more hens to keep him occupied. I know breeders house trios and quartets -- I'm not sure if they periodically separate the rooster or how else they might manage to keep feathers on the hens' backs. If you do house them all together, one of the cockerels will establish dominance over the other. How violent the path is to that point is anyone's guess and it's always possible that one will kill the other in the process.

1 person likes this.
  8. chick fever

Dec 3, 2012
    thanks i was racking my mind with that. ill just get one rooster

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You can always replace him at a later stage if you have enough BO chicks and want to breed something different. It's nice to get some variety in the flock now and then. I didn't have pure breeds and I let my roosters do what they want. We had 2 roosters doing taking care of the breeding duties and about 50-55 laying hens at any given time. Hatching was huge fun as we never knew what we're going to get! LOL

10. chick fever

Dec 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by