2 roo's!!?????

momoftwinsinwi

Songster
13 Years
May 29, 2007
Rochester, WI
my 16 "pullets" looks to be 14, I knew one of my CA Whites was going to be a roo because he was twice as big as any other chic by 3 weeks old, we called her "Big Bertha" well, we've since renamed "him" to "Farley" - he's so big, he runs funny, reminds me of a pudgy guy running and now I started to notice the "beard" (if that's what it is) on one of my Reds....my question, will they fight? Will I lose one in a fight? They are about 6 weeks right now. It wouldn't break my heart to bring one or both to my grandma to make some fresh fried chicken and she's 84 now and would bring back some old time memories....

I sleep days and don't want to listen to a rooster in the morning....hence, me ordering 16 chicken's, no roo's -but I understand.

p.s....we've name the Red Roo - "Carrot top"

Last edited:
The two roos will establish a pecking order and you will see some fighting. It is usually not serious enough to draw blood. If you have plenty of room, the two should be OK together into adult hood.

You can't stop the crowing...

You know, you saying he runs all pudgey makes me thing you have a cornish x rather than a cali white. That twice the size thing tells me this too. It still may be a she if it doesnt crow. Cali white roo's show a red comb at about 3-4 weeks old as chicks and are taller, not "bigger" than the girls. They are still pretty thin chickens even for males. As for a "beard" do you mean red comb or wattles? If so that may be a roo. How old are they again? If it is a feather beard you are seeing it could be a cross... If they are nearing laying age... about 4 months, a redder comb means getting close to lay. Post some pics and we can say more difinitively.

Silkiechicken has a good point here. My 13 week old Cali White Roo is smaller and thinner than my hens of the same age. His comb and waddles are a LOT more developed than my two other suspected roos, one RIR and one Speckled Sussex. He's also starting to crow.

P1010007.jpg

Just took this pic as I ran outside to put him back in the run. He's an escape artist.

I also have two roo's who live together and, like Natchlaly's roos, they only squabble over food and girls. The hens and 2nd roo know who the lead roo is and follow him everywhere! You shouldn't have a problem since they are being raised together!

I'm glad you posted this, because as my chicks are getting older, so far it looks like I have three roosters and three hens.
he.gif
And the silkies so far I can't even tell.
barnie.gif

I'm going to post a pic of "big bertha" aka "Farley" because I think you all might be right -he's obnoxiously big and if he's some sort of bird that's going to die if he gets to big, I would like to know what to do!!

Just thought I'd pop in here, I also have two 4 month old roos with 17 or 18 hens. They do just fine, besides the daily squabble or two. (When one of the roos, Purple George, drills a hen with his beak and makes her squack, the other, Red, will set up a ruckus and come running to 'save' his lady. It's hilarious!) I even caught them kind of snuggling in the nesting box once!
gig.gif

Ideally you'd have one roo to ten or so hens.

Back
Top Bottom