2 rooster breeds

Urlec

In the Brooder
May 25, 2016
North Saskatchewan River
Any idea what these 2 roosters are? The black looks like a Ameraucana mix the the white I have no idea as it is easily double the size of what I'm familiar with. Curiosity finally got the better of me since they are fitting in well with the girls and are doing their jobs.

That brown one is beautiful, but I think ameuracanas usually have a pea comb rarely straight. To find if hes a ameuracana you can breed him to brown or white laying hen and if the offspring produce blue or green eggs than youll know for sure. That white ones comb is huge like a leghorn. Is their such a thing as a splash leghorn?

Easter Egger on top. The other one appears to be a California White, or Ideal 236.

If white birds spend a lot of time in the sunlight, their feathers will get a yellow ting, so that appears to be where the yellowing came from.

Last edited:
Easter Egger on top. The other one appears to be a California White, or Ideal 236.

If white birds spend a lot of time in the sunlight, their feathers will get a yellow ting, so that appears to be where the yellowing came from.

Thank you. That make sense considering his chicks from leghorn hens came out large with the same black feather pattern. As for the yellowing I know about the sunlight issue and do let them outside. They sit there for hours spread out getting a tan.

That brown one is beautiful, but I think ameuracanas usually have a pea comb rarely straight. To find if hes a ameuracana you can breed him to brown or white laying hen and if the offspring produce blue or green eggs than youll know for sure. That white ones comb is huge like a leghorn. Is their such a thing as a splash leghorn?

Yes the comb is how I know he is mixed. Looks like a Frankenstein combination of comb genes that don't follow any standard. Offspring is not laying yet but when hatched they all all had mini pea combs

So you already bred the brown one? Pea combs are a good sign of the blue egg gene, let me know what color eggs you eventually get :)

Ya I put him in with a few green egg Easter egger and some white leghorns to see what I can get. This batch is mostly for the freezer but if I get any nice hens out of him they might stick around for a bit. Unfortunately the black one won't survive this falls cull. To aggressive with anything that is not in his flock so I have to watch his offspring carefully.

Back
Top Bottom