2 Roosters Have Arrived !

Probably not, I'll play it by ear when I get closer I'll have to make the decision. If I don't it will be fun watching the hatch, supposedly the Black one does have Lav in him. First I need to make sure I can keep a rooster past a few months inbetween a coyote and the last one I am having some really shitty luck with keeping roosters. :he
I have electric wire around my coops and pens, concrete under the gates and a heavy duty netting covering all of the pens. I have several game cameras around on my property. I see predators most every night on at least one of the cameras. I have seen them during the day but mostly at night especially during the summer months.
DSCF00541031 01.jpg

IMAG0001910 07.jpg

I have electric wire around my coops and pens, concrete under the gates and a heavy duty netting covering all of the pens. I have several game cameras around on my property. I see predators most every night on at least one of the cameras. I have seen them during the day but mostly at night especially during the summer months.
View attachment 1599864
View attachment 1599868
The trail cams are great, I used inside coop to find that a flying squirrel was have dinner on my dime at night. Now RIP Mr. squirrel. I would have some serious fun at your place at night.
Electric fence is on my to-do list. Don't get me wrong I did not lose my Rooster from an animal getting in. He was free ranging and I went in to take a nap. Everything was caught on house security footage.

Night one complete. Success!! So I put them all together last night about an hour before dark. Some what I consider minor scuffles. Worse part is the 2 roosters had no idea were to go the roost. They had never been in main coop before. So I had to pick them up and put them on the roost with the girls. No scuffles in doing so. I went out this morning to open the pop door and everyone looked to be calm. Hens exited coop first followed by roosters a few minutes after. I think they were still trying to figure the place out. Once in the pen I did not see any scuffles just alittle catch me if you can game. Unlike last night I have yet to witness any mating this morning it may have happened but I have not seen it. The boys are doing their rooster thing, warning the girls as a blue hearing flew over head and calling them over for treats. Things may not be over yet but pleased to report a non eventful first morning together.
KIMG0176.jpg
KIMG0178.jpg
KIMG0182.jpg
KIMG0184.jpg

Night one complete. Success!! So I put them all together last night about an hour before dark. Some what I consider minor scuffles. Worse part is the 2 roosters had no idea were to go the roost. They had never been in main coop before. So I had to pick them up and put them on the roost with the girls. No scuffles in doing so. I went out this morning to open the pop door and everyone looked to be calm. Hens exited coop first followed by roosters a few minutes after. I think they were still trying to figure the place out. Once in the pen I did not see any scuffles just alittle catch me if you can game. Unlike last night I have yet to witness any mating this morning it may have happened but I have not seen it. The boys are doing their rooster thing, warning the girls as a blue hearing flew over head and calling them over for treats. Things may not be over yet but pleased to report a non eventful first morning together.
View attachment 1600183
View attachment 1600185
View attachment 1600188
View attachment 1600189
Glad things seem to be going well. I hope it remains this way! Good luck, your rooster are beautiful!

Glad things seem to be going well. I hope it remains this way! Good luck, your rooster are beautiful!
Ain't that the truth. Scary to hear of horror stories. I am still fairly new to chickens and this is my 3rd time bringing in new birds. I think the most important thing is to have a large area for the birds to spread out if needed.

I have had some good results and some not to good results. I have had some males kill another male that was in with them but for the most part no issues. I have had to take a couple of males out of the bachelor pens because the other males were beating up on them.

This is my Gladys with one of the young males (buster) that the other young males were beating up on. When I took him out of the bachelor pen he couldn't stand or walk so I put him in with Gladys. At first she didn't want anything to do with him but eventually warmed up to him and started hanging around him and he would try to walk and follow her around. He eventually got better. He decided that he wanted to jump my hubby and I. A fellow wanted a Rhode Island White male for breeding. I told him about Buster and he still wanted him and took him. Apparently he was fine in his new home. The fellow seemed happy with him.
IMG_20170104_172023.jpg IMG_20171113_161726.jpg

Back
Top Bottom