2 roosters matting the hens

May 6, 2022
I have a dominant BCM rooster and a nondominant silkie rooster. I have seen the BCM matting all the hens but have yet to see the Silkie roo mate any of them. Is it common to only have 1 rooster mate or am I just not seeing the Silkie do it? I would like for both of them to breed if possible. I know I could separate them, but that is not really an option right now.

The dominant rooster tends to mate more than the subordinate one.

If the subordinate tries to mate, the dominant rooster may attack him.
A big pen, or things in the pen to block line-of-sight, can make a difference.
Even something as simple as putting a bale of straw in the middle of the pen might be enough to let the subordinate mate more.

The silkie rooster may also be mating when you aren't looking.
You might be able to tell by hatching some chicks. Chicks from a Silkie will tend to have feathered feet, a 5th toe, and a crest on the head.
(Of course, if you also have Silkie hens, you would get half-Silkie chicks even from the BCM rooster too.)

The dominant rooster tends to mate more than the subordinate one.

If the subordinate tries to mate, the dominant rooster may attack him.
A big pen, or things in the pen to block line-of-sight, can make a difference.
Even something as simple as putting a bale of straw in the middle of the pen might be enough to let the subordinate mate more.

The silkie rooster may also be mating when you aren't looking.
You might be able to tell by hatching some chicks. Chicks from a Silkie will tend to have feathered feet, a 5th toe, and a crest on the head.
(Of course, if you also have Silkie hens, you would get half-Silkie chicks even from the BCM rooster too.)
Thank you! I’m hoping he’s getting to do some matting because I would love some Silkie crosses too. I have a pretty good set up with a decent size coop for my 14 birds as well as a 8x16 run and lots of free ranging time. I have 1 Silkie hen currently that I’ve seen get matted by the BCM a lot. I’m currently incubating 13 eggs so I’m curious what I will have. I have all kinds of breeds so I’m excited to see what will come out. Fingers crossed for BCM crosses and Silkie crosses 🥰

Back
Top Bottom