2 Roosters or 1??

I take it your referring to the quarantine period? Let me ask you if the birds have always been healthy and never shown any kind of illness why would quarantine still be advised?
I think aart is referring to housing. Be ready to separate them, if needed. But quarantine would be a bad thing to do either, not all illnesses are visible

I take it your referring to the quarantine period? Let me ask you if the birds have always been healthy and never shown any kind of illness why would quarantine still be advised?
No, I didn't mean for quarantine(but that's something to think about too-see below),
I meant for if they start beating the crap out of each other or the females.

Consider biological/medical quarantine:
BYC Medical Quarantine Article
BYC 'quarantine' search

Well I don't know anyone that would throw a sickly bird into their flock but people bring sickness into their flocks all the time.
I'd assume some don't recognize a sick bird but id image the majority do it by throwing in birds that appears healthy and they assumed or were told they have always been healthy.

Well, somewhere along the line that barred cockerel also wasn't bred to straight Lav... or it wouldn't be barred/cuckoo. Thank you moonshiner for clarifying the black thing. Do you care to elaborate on the cuckoo thing?

Someone mentioned a look but don't touch for the boys. This will NOT work if it is JUST a fence between them. There must also be space. With just a fence the boys will fight through the fence, even though they didn't when on the same side... and injuries still happen but with no clear winner. E fencing works well though.

I personally would NOT mix that black into my Lav stock if Lav was my goal. Too many unknowns. But if ya got time for projects, it can be fun to see what happens. :pop

Ratio numbers are all bunk...
The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.

It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.

Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc

It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.

Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

...but have separate quarters ready for one or both of these birds if you get them

I agree that there is no telling what's a good number I have 20 hens to my ee roo and he cares for them all just great and I still have about 5 or 6 girls, his faves, with bare backs

I have 1 roo to 6 girls and right now that works for him no one in that flock is being over mated

So there is no way to tell a good ratio. :) just think about what you can handle bc of space, keeping clean, and caring for illnesses

Well, somewhere along the line that barred cockerel also wasn't bred to straight Lav... or it wouldn't be barred/cuckoo. Thank you moonshiner for clarifying the black thing. Do you care to elaborate on the cuckoo thing?

Someone mentioned a look but don't touch for the boys. This will NOT work if it is JUST a fence between them. There must also be space. With just a fence the boys will fight through the fence, even though they didn't when on the same side... and injuries still happen but with no clear winner. E fencing works well though.

I personally would NOT mix that black into my Lav stock if Lav was my goal. Too many unknowns. But if ya got time for projects, it can be fun to see what happens. :pop
I was thinking the same thing about the barred, but to me it is really neat and I like it as I have never seen a Barred Lavender Oprington before. Have you? I agree that with the black one that it will be a wild guess what I end up with. I have a Buff, Lavender and Partridge Orpington to breed them both with heck it would be great if I could end up with a Lavender Partridge Orpington. I'm sure it will never happen but will be fun to see what hatches. All else fails it will be a roosted chicken every Sunday at my house.:idunno

but to me it is really neat and I like it as I have never seen a Barred Lavender Oprington before. Have you?
Not sure about Orps specifically, but I have seen it somewhere...

Work towards getting cuckoo Lav females... from your offspring with this Sire and your Lav hen and eventually using a solid Lav rooster and barred females you can produce 100% sex linked Lav chicks... males will have a white spot on their head. Harder to discern with lav than some other colors, but with practice, very doable.

Buff cross to Lav... somehow, not sure how many generations and such but your get Porcelain aka Blue cream depending on which breed we are talking.

Welcome to the wide world of chicken adventures and never ending learning fun! :wee

Not sure about Orps specifically, but I have seen it somewhere...

Work towards getting cuckoo Lav females... from your offspring with this Sire and your Lav hen and eventually using a solid Lav rooster and barred females you can produce 100% sex linked Lav chicks... males will have a white spot on their head. Harder to discern with lav than some other colors, but with practice, very doable.

Buff cross to Lav... somehow, not sure how many generations and such but your get Porcelain aka Blue cream depending on which breed we are talking.

Welcome to the wide world of chicken adventures and never ending learning fun! :wee
I will have plenty of questions when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom