2 Roosters?

my 8 buff orpington Roosters share 29 Hens just fine, I think it might be because I gave them "The Talk". I told them if they didn't get along I was going to cook them and eat them.

I've also got 2 roo's with my hens that were raised together as chicks. One is definately "top boss". They generally get along fine, with a little chasing every now and again but no bloodshed or full-on attacks.

Quote:
oK couple of questions....I bought 20 BR chicks but only 19 made it to 6wks (now) I ended up with 8 hens and 11 roos. I have made up my mind only keep the hens and 1 rooster because I didn't think I could have two in one coop. But can I keep 2 roos with only 8 hens and at what age do the other roos go to the soup pot? 16 wks? 20wks?

Quote:
I've had two roos raised together since chicks with 15 hens. I'm adding more hens this spring. The roos get along just fine. Some of the hens get rode pretty hard though. That's one reason I'm adding to the flock. With only 8 hens, your roos will wear them out. I'd advise against it, from my personal experience. I read somewhere you should have at least 10 hens per roo - not sure where that came from, but it sounds reasonable based on what I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom