2 Roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Punk-Rock_Chicken, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Punk-Rock_Chicken

Punk-Rock_Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    High Springs, Florida
    I have only been on here since this morning and I have already posted several questions, hope I aint getting on anyones nerves yet. LOL! But heres one more, will 2 roos raised together since hatching fight if kept together with hens or should they be seperated... Ive been told both yes and no. I would like to hear some personal expieriences on this.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    It depends on the individual personalities of the roosters.
    Some will get along fine. others will try to kill each other.

3. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I have two roo's running with my hens, one is the top guy and the other is always low man on the totem pole but they do okay they don't fight all the time. I have two other roo's that are kept in a pen by themselfs because when all 4 run with the hens it is too much. They wear the backs out on the hen and constantly fight to the point of serious injury.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I had two roos raised together and had enough hens for both of them. I thought my flock was fine. The boys never fought, other than the alpha kicking his subordinate off a hen now and then. Then I gave away my alpha. My flock instantly seemed more at peace.

5. tcwk

tcwk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW, PA
    yeah, it depends on the bird, i have heard of roo's raised up together from chicks and getting along fine, one will always be more dominant then the other, if they have problems separate them if they don't you can leave them together, it all depends on the bird

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I had 7 roosters (4 silkies, 3 sebrights) that have lived together since I received them in the male. Right now I only have 5 of them and two of the sebrights will fight if given the chance while they're alone. They draw a little blood which is why i'm trying to find homes for them. The silkies however hate the sebrights and will chase them if they crow or do anything they don't like.

7. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    A good dominant rooster will have no need to attack his subordinates all the time, our dominant ones only need to walk over or glare at the other to get them to move along...

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:I know what you mean. When my receptionist tells me the mail is here, I say, but what about the femail.[​IMG]

9. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:I know what you mean. When my receptionist tells me the mail is here, I say, but what about the femail.[​IMG]

Oh woops.. [​IMG] I didn't realize I put "male" instead of "mail" [​IMG] Good one Mahonri! I guess since we're talking about roosters and all [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  10. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I HAD 2 SLW roos. They didn't fight at all with each other, but would gang up on the other roo and If one of them caught a hen, the other would have the same hen next. They were not very polite to the hens and that is why we now only have 1 roo that is a BO. He is very good with the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by