2 Sudden Hen Deaths within Week

Sep 14, 2021
North Idaho
Hello,
I have 12 chickens who are all a little less than 1.5 years old. On Sunday, my little Lavender Ameraucana, Clover, suddenly started flapping her wings while laying on the ground with her legs behind her, almost like she was paralyzed and couldn't use them. By the time we got to her, she had already passed. She was totally normal, showed no signs of being sick, and was not underweight. From her symptoms, I thought she died from Sudden Death Syndrome. I figured that was it. But it was not.

Today, my Plymouth Barred Rock Hen, Bubbles, was found lying face down in the run this morning. She was still alive and was able to move her head a tiny bit but was otherwise unresponsive. We had a big cold snap last night (got down to 27 F) and while we checked the run last night to make sure everyone made it in, I thought maybe she was hidden and we didn't see her so I assumed she was suffering from frostbite. We brought her in and slowly warmed her up (lukewarm bath, hairdryer, heating pad, etc.). She seemed to pink up (her comb was purplish when we found her) but never woke up and unfortunately passed away several hours later.

I am absolutely devastated as these girls are my pets and loosing 2 for no apparent reason is really concerning me. There are no avian vets near us and I am not willing to cut her open to see what's wrong; I just can't bring myself to do it. Should I be concerned for the rest of my flock (the 10 that are left)? Have people had something similar happen to their flock? Is there something preventative I could give the rest of my girls just to be safe? They are all molting right now so they aren't laying any eggs. Again, Bubbles and Clover seemed super happy and bouncy right up until the end so I don't understand why they suddenly died. This just wasn't the same as when I lost previous chickens when I at least had a couple days of them feeling crummy. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

What's their diet?
I had them on some feed from a local place that has high protein (since they were molting). However, they were being very picky and only picking out the stuff they liked in the feed so I bought a bag of Purina layer feed to mix in with the local feed to make sure they were getting what they needed. I did that on the 15th (last Sunday.) I also give them wheat, tomatoes from the garden, and other veggies as treats. They also have access to grit and oyster shells.

I had them on some feed from a local place that has high protein (since they were molting). However, they were being very picky and only picking out the stuff they liked in the feed so I bought a bag of Purina layer feed to mix in with the local feed to make sure they were getting what they needed. I did that on the 15th (last Sunday.) I also give them wheat, tomatoes from the garden, and other veggies as treats. They also have access to grit and oyster shells.
Hmm I had a chicken do that but it was because of dehydration from the heat

If they're molting they need more protein, less calcium. 20-22% protein is what I do for mine, with oyster shells on the side in a separate feeder.

How often do you give these treats?

I used to feed layer, but no longer do since my birds aren't High Production hybrids/Breeds, & don't require it, plus I have roosters/cockerels, & youngsters in the flocks.

If they're molting they need more protein, less calcium. 20-22% protein is what I do for mine, with oyster shells on the side in a separate feeder.

I used to feed layer, but no longer do since my birds aren't High Production hybrids/Breeds, & don't require it, plus I have roosters/cockerels, & youngsters in the flocks.
I have been feeding the high protein feed that the local feed place carries. I attached what's in the local feed below:
1698362001038.png

IMO, any time one has multiple birds die from unexplained causes in short order, the prudent path is a necropsy. Idaho has an animal health poultry lab as part of the Department of Agriculture.
https://agri.idaho.gov/main/laboratories/animal-health-laboratories/
Call them and they'll tell you how to proceed. Most labs will send you a FedEx label for shipping. Don't freeze the bird but keep it cool and pack with freezer packs if possible.
Whenever I had an unexplained death, even if it was a single bird, having rare breeds, I had to know what was up. I never ended up with a serious illness but it was a relief to know. In most cases my birds died of heart attack and cancer.
Temperatures in the 20s F won't kill a healthy adult chicken, even with a sudden cold snap. Something else is going on.

It takes protein to build new feathers but don't overdo it. It is harder on a chicken to process the excess protein than to deal with molting.

I give them treats everyday but I don't give them a lot. A cup of wheat for the 12 of them and either a tomato or two or some other veggie or fruit.

Back
Top Bottom