2 week old baby chick with lump

hendersonrph

Chirping
Jan 28, 2012
My baby chick has a lump on the left side of it neck. I noticed it a couple of days ago. It felt like it had a pocket full of grit or food. Today, the lump is still there feels flat but kind of hard with a little gritty feel and it's crop has food in it. Is this lump related to the crop? I took it out of the brooder and brought it inside with a heater and water. It is a little on the lathargic side but still chirps and ran from me when I tried to get it from the brooder but now it flinches when I start to pick it up but the wants to sleep in my hand. What can I do, I don't want my baby to die. Please help.

The crop isn't impacted as I thought. It emptied last night and the chick is eating and drinking but the lump on it neck is still there. Will put a Pic on here tomorrow. Sorry, didn't think about it at first. This is my first experience with baby chicks. But anyway, she/he has swollen feet and legs also. Tonight when I checked it, it's feet looked like it had pus pockets on its sole of its feet in places and they are warm (feverish) to the touch. I notice that there was something black looking on top of one its feet in a small area that looked kind of flaky. I didnt want to mess with it in fear of hurting it. Should I try to drain the pus or just leave to heal on it own. It is in a brooder with 26 other chicks. Are they in danger of catching whatever it is she/he has? Please help!!!!!!!Thanks

It doesn't look like the sores in the pics of Bumblefoot, but this could be early signs. I will be uploading pics of her/he shortly. Thank you for your information. Maybe when I get pics on here someone can get a better idea of what it may be that is wrong with it.
Thanks again.

ok i was COMPLETELY guessing, im bad at diseases, but that sounds like bumble foot, even if not SEPERATE that chick,NOW, dont want to risk getting your other chicks sick

im sorry cant help, i came off sounding like i knew about diseases

It's ok. I appreciate ANY help I can get. Thank you.

This pic shows the pus pocket at the This pic shows the knot on her neck.
base of her foot.

Can anyone tell me what these problems are? Thank you...

Last edited:
Hmmm...well, bumblefoot is a staph infection. If the pus pockets (possible bumblefoot) on the feet are related to the lump in the neck - then you've got a very sick baby..ie the staph has become systemic. I do not know how to treat such a little one for this. Do some searches here for chick, staph, antibiotics. If it's systemic, you'll definitely have to give IM antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom