2 week old baby chick with lump

We have them on pine shavings. We have 26 more that are doing fine. She is really lathargic now tonight. Afraid it won't make it thru the night.

do you have ANY antibiotics on hand? It sounds like you're at the last resort ... I think it would be very difficult to dose, but I think I'd try an itty-bitty dose of penicillin IM. Like maybe .1cc - that's POINT 1 cc ie: 1/10 of a cc. for four days.

She is eating medicated food and I was told not to give her antibiotics with that food because it could kill her. She hasn't died yet, still hanging on. She still chirps when we come near her or walk in the room, but she won't open her eyes hardly at all. I think even if I had antibiotics, at this point, it wouldn't work for now. I think it just a wait and see. It breaks my heart that she is so sick but I don't know what else to do. She has ate a little today, not sure if she is drinking. If she eats would she be drinking a little too without me knowing? I may go ahead with atibiotics anyway, just to see. She is going to die either way I think. Thanks for your help.

Can someone else help please with sick chick and medications? I am going to give you a bump to see.

Last edited:
I must be missing something, the pics look normal to me but clearly she isn't doing so well. Maybe some electrolytes or sugar water? She seems so young to have anything like staph going on. I wish you the best of luck.

The only antibiotic I have is a Human amoxilcillan. I scraped some of the pill off into a powder and mixed it with some water, I got her to drink a little of it. I probably killed her by doing that but shes probably going to die soon anyway. I hope she don't, I hope that by some miracle this little bit of antibiotic will make a difference but I think it is too late. We will see. Her body is cooler than normal. I did find out that she probably has sepsis instead of bumblefoot. A vet told me that she is too young to have bumblefoot that her sickness started in the egg. I just don't understand it, she was perfectly healthy for 2 weeks then this. I want to thank each and every on of you for your help. I hope that all of you have better luck than I have. Thanks again. I will post and let you know if she makes it or not. Doesn't really look good.

Just to let everyone know, my baby chick passed away this morning. I thank you for all your help and support. I wish everyone and their chicks/chickens well. Thanks again.

sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom