1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 Week old bantam Silkie chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ceeej123, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Ceeej123

Ceeej123 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2015
    Hi! I am a brand new chicken owner and working on getting my first flock together. Meet Isabelle (Hoping she stays a SHE :)

In my first set of chicks I have a bantam silkie chick that is pale yellowish in color and I am thinking it will be a white silkie. But Whoa. Today I see black barring on "her" wings?? Here are some pics. Any input or schmoozing about how lovely my Isabelle is...is welcome!! P.S. Isabelle is 2 weeks old, doesn't mind getting her picture taken, and was in a plastic box only to protect her while I was getting a quick few pics of her. She was the only one of my chicks that stood still for a few pics, patiently, THEN asked for cuddles.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now since I've bragged on Isabelle I have to show my only other silkie, MUCH different personality (not the go-getter that Isabelle is) is the lovely Prudence. Prudence is a bit shy, prefers to hang around the edges of all the activity in the brooder box and is happy to snuggle with anyone of the other babies. She usually is the first to nap too, but not for long. She eats casually whereas Isabelle eats nonstop and quite greedily! Again, All my chicks are females in my mind until CROWING proves me otherwise. I have to at least try to be hopeful! I only have 4 baby chicks and I need HENS. So, I give you Prudence, clearly to me she will be a black bantam silkie, but other than that, I have no idea and all comments are welcome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you for letting me brag a bit on my first silkie babies! This site is awesome and I have learned so much!

2. HoneyNestAcres

HoneyNestAcres Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    Albany, Ohio
    I was thinking of getting some silkies too! They are so precious.

Yours are absolutely adorable!!!! I love that yo got two that aren't the same color. And I am curious about the barring as well. Hopefully you'll post pics when she gets older.

Even though I don't have silkies I have 11 speckled Sussex that are almost a week old and I'm trying to get them to warm up to me so they'll cuddle like your Isabelle haha.

3. Ceeej123

Feb 3, 2015
    I just try picking each one up at least once a day. And I sit by the brooder box for so long watching them that I think they know my voice. When other people speak near them or make noises it startles them, but not me. I am loving these two babies so much...please be hens!!

I am baffled by the barring. I don't think silkies have barred versions but I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Maybe someone else will have seen this before!

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Regarding tame chicks that enjoy being handled, if you aren't already doing so, try being careful how you approach your chicks. Try NEVER to come at them from overhead. It frightens the daylights out of them because it symbolizes a predator attack. Always slowly approach from their level, from the side. I like to slip my hand in, palm up and slide it slowly across the brooder floor right up to the toes of the chick I wish to handle. Almost always, a slight nudge against the chick's feet will encourage it to step onto my hand. Then I carefully, slowly bring my other hand in to cup the chick and lift out.

After a while you will have them trained to automatically step onto your hand when you slip it into the brooder. No more scared chicks.

5. Ceeej123

Feb 3, 2015
    Update! Here are 3 month old Isabelle and Prudence![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by