2 week old barred rock pullet or roo??

kristylynne

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
Sacramento, Ca
Guesses?

Last edited:
Oh ok. It's dark outside now so lemme see if I got any leg shots...

These are the best shots I have with it's little legs. If you can't tell from these I will take a better one tomorrow

It's kinda hard but look at the legs and if the legs are all yellow ther roo but if they have gray or black on the legs it's a Pullet

Ok thanks! I'll get a good look tomorrow. I might be see some gray on the feet in the first pic with the chick being held by one if my kids. Thanks again. :))

Cockerel. I'm pretty darn sure on this one. Though the head spot is large, it is fairly defined on its edges, which is generally a pullet trait. BR sexing rules are not 100% sure, but I do think this is a male.

Last edited:
It's kinda hard but look at the legs and if the legs are all yellow ther roo but if they have gray or black on the legs it's a Pullet
Not always. The old line heritage BRs are not as easily sexed as the hatchery stock. Most all my cockerels have some dark on the leg fronts, though it's sketchy. And I've had pullets who were cockerel colored, huge head spot, almost no dark wash on the leg fronts, overall lighter barring. My first BR hen was as light colored as all her sons. Then, if you get a single factor barred male to pop up in a line, which has happened with me years ago with straight BR parents, all sexing rules are out the window.

That said, with hatchery stock, the pullet leg color is usually dark all the way down. The males may have some dark, but it skips and is mostly concentrated just above the foot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom