2 week old chick concerns

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crystal195655, Feb 14, 2012.

1. crystal195655

crystal195655 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Glenoma, WA
    I have a 2 week old Black Star chick who appears to be losing her fluff faster than her feathers are coming in...mainly around her neck area....is this normal? She appears healthy in every other way. I don't want to ignore it if it could be something I need to do....thanks much

oh, I have a total of 8 chicks all the same age

2. Country Chickens

Country Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Orange County, NC
    Hey, I don't know if I'll be much help but at least I'll bump the thread so someone else can chime in. We haven't raised this breed, but we have raised an assortment of others and sometimes one chick lags behind the others in growing in feathers. They can look like a real rag-bag. My usual 'cure' if a chick is having feather issues but otherwise seems healthy is offer it a sunny spot to sand bath and make sure it's getting plenty of protien. However, I don't know that this isn't something different...

Best of luck!

3. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    I ordered Black stars last year, they were all the runts of the shipment. I didn't expect much but they grew fast, I had a couple lose the fluff before the feathers but it was over in about two weeks. I think thier system was just a bit funky letting the fluff go before the feather was ready. NOw I wasn't watching them every minute of the day so it could have been anohter bird picking on them and pulling out the feathers. Either way, they worked it out and are all now living a happy life.

4. crystal195655

crystal195655 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Glenoma, WA
    Thank you both for your responses and encouraging information....I do not watch over them as they are outside in the coop, which I have set up as a brooder...whenever I have looked in on them which is 3-4 times per day, I have never noticed any other chicks picking on her, so I feel somewhat relieved that maybe it's just fluff loss before the feathers are in....it seems to only be on her neck. She is always the first one to come running to me when I go into the coop, so she is definitley not submissive or anything. Guess I won't worry about it and just wait and see how she looks once her feathers are coming in better. thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by