2 week old chick heavy breathing, sneezing, puffed up

May 6, 2023
My buff orphington 3 days ago started heavy breathing, beak closed, no discharge from nose or eyes. Pops are good. Eating, drinking, gaining weight. Yesterday, she started sneezing. This morning, sounds a little wet now. She stands with her wings a little away from her body and look a little puffed up. Not as energetic as the other 3 ,whom have non of these symptoms. Brooder 90 under heat plate and 80 in the rest of the brooder which is approximately 8 square feet. Hemp litter sparingly on the floor on top of puppy pee pads. Changed every other day. I do not have experience with respiratory illnesses. Trying to get to vet tomorrow but doesn't look promising. Can someone give me some directions please. These girls are pets. Hoping to integrate them with my 2 year old hens in a couple months. I don't want to lose her. Thank you for any input or suggestions.

Brooder 90 under heat plate and 80 in the rest of the brooder which is approximately 8 square feet.
3 days ago started heavy breathing, beak closed, no discharge from nose or eyes. Pops are good. Eating, drinking, gaining weight. Yesterday, she started sneezing. This morning, sounds a little wet now. She stands with her wings a little away from her body and look a little puffed up. Not as energetic as the other 3
How is she doing?

Photos of her and her poop?

Being puffed up, heavy breathing and holding her wings out, I'd begin treating for Coccidiosis.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Could be she's a bit warm, hard to know. 80 for the cool side of a brooder is warmish. It can be much cooler than that as long as the chicks have a warm spot which you have with the brooder plate.

Check to make sure her nostrils are clear of food or dust; this can cause some sneezing as well.

How is she doing?

Photos of her and her poop?

Being puffed up, heavy breathing and holding her wings out, I'd begin treating for Coccidiosis.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Could be she's a bit warm, hard to know. 80 for the cool side of a brooder is warmish. It can be much cooler than that as long as the chicks have a warm spot which you have with the brooder plate.

Check to make sure her nostrils are clear of food or dust; this can cause some sneezing as well.
So the brooder away from the heat is now 72 degrees. I ordered the powdered corid it will be here tomorrow. nostrils look clear. giving corid to charlotte and the others even if it is not coccidiosis is ok? I just want to confirm. thank you for your reply.

Attachments

• 20240406_080639.jpg
    20240406_080639.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240406_080912.jpg
    20240406_080912.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240406_081542.jpg
    20240406_081542.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 7
CORID should not hurt her if it's not cocci. But I wanted to add I have six buff orb chicks and ALL of their feathers look like yours when they are coming in. For whatever reason the buff orbs don't feather as nicely as say my Barred Rocks or even my Easter Eggers. I would more compare them to my frizzle chicks lol. The frizzles will always have crazy feathers but the Buff Orbs will polish out. I saw your pics and thought wow all my buff orbs look this way. Mine are two weeks going on three. Their feathers are all over the place. My Easter Eggers and Barreds are already smoothed out. I think it's just the way the buffs feather out. Hope this helps. Best wishes

3 days ago started heavy breathing, beak closed, no discharge from nose or eyes. Pops are good. Eating, drinking, gaining weight. Yesterday, she started sneezing. This morning, sounds a little wet now. She stands with her wings a little away from her body and look a little puffed up. Not as energetic as the other 3
So the brooder away from the heat is now 72 degrees. I ordered the powdered corid it will be here tomorrow. nostrils look clear. giving corid to charlotte and the others even if it is not coccidiosis is ok? I just want to confirm. thank you for your reply.
The Corid will not hurt even if Coccidiosis is not the problem.

BO's can look a bit odd when small, I agree, but with your concerns and her behavior, I'd treat all of them.

The Corid will not hurt even if Coccidiosis is not the problem.

BO's can look a bit odd when small, I agree, but with your concerns and her behavior, I'd treat all of them.

Attachments

• 20240409_062016.jpg
    20240409_062016.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240409_062029.jpg
    20240409_062029.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240409_063016.jpg
    20240409_063016.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 3
Oh my !!! This happened this morning. I started the corid powder in their water 36 hours ago. Their poop didn't look like this then. 3/4 tsp in half gallon of water. Do you have any suggestions?

Yes, that's the correct treatment.

The poop looks to have some intestinal shedding which can be normal.

Back
Top Bottom