2 week old chick not eating, please help...

Red

Songster
12 Years
Mar 17, 2007
We've got five previously healthy chicks. I noticed a few days ago that one did a poop that was clear liquid, and read on here that it was probably due to the chick not eating and having nothing to poop out. Well this chick is one of our tamest and loves cuddles and has been acting fine, but on closer inspection when the others were eating this one just stood and watched.

I tried to hand feed the chick but she wouldn't eat anything, and if you feel this chick's chest you can feel it's bones or whatever they really stick out - it seems a lot thinner than the others. We've added garlic to the water, but now the chicks don't appear to be drinking it
roll.png
, and have tried feeding Sunny (ill chick) some plain yoghurt...she ate a TINY amount when forced, but she's more interested in cuddling on your hand, fluffing herself up and sleeping.

The chicks are on medicated feed, but were introduced to some soil to dust bathe in about three days ago. They will be two weeks old tomorrow.

Please if anybody can help or has any reassurances or kind words i would love to hear it. My pet mouse Martha is currently sick with a tumour and i'm trying to psyche myself up to have her put to sleep when the time is right, and i'm terrified about losing this poor baby too
hit.gif

I feel so hopeless right now, is it something i've done wrong? Is there anything i can do?? Thank you in advance
sad.png

How does her crop feel? Is it large and swollen?

Sometimes chicks fail to thrive and there is not much you can do. Just keep trying to get her to eat.

She just feels...empty. I can't feel anything swollen. Feels sooo thin. She only ate a tiny amount of yoghurt and then started getting stressed and wanting to get away. She's the sweetest little chick ever, i just wish she would eat something for me. She just stands and sleeps, or if there's someone in the room she'll fly onto their hand and sleep
sad.png

Thank you for your reply..

I had a sultan chick just like that and I made a warm mash of their food and it ate some. But it was so thin and it looked sleepy all the time and I knew it was going to starve it's self to death. But I also have been handfeeding a baby cockatiel and thought I could probably feed it some of his food. I hand feed it 3 times last week and it's doing great. The chick is now eating like normal and doesn't look so thin either.

Thank you everyone
smile.png

I'll just keep on trying to hand feed her then...i have school today so won't be able to feed her until about 2:00ish. I did try give her some chick food and yoghurt this morning with no luck...I think my dad's gonna take her to the vets today so we can see if they can do anything.

She is drinking though, which has gotta be a good thing right? Thanks again everybody

since she is not averse to drinking, get some baby parrot handfeeding formula (pet store) or even ask at your vets for this... it is a powder that you add water to. Make it up thin and she will then get nutritional value frm her fluids.

Thanks dlhunicorn i'll ask about that tonight. She seems a little better...we mixed water with her feed and she's been eating tiny amounts. I'm going to try her with a little yoghurt too.

* May be dumb of me, but I sometimes wonder if certain chicks for whatever reason just don't "get" the whole eating by mouth thing, having been fed 'automatically' by the yolk umblical. . . . ???
idunno.gif
. I would use dlhunicorn's Poly-Vi-Sol regime on this chick though, and try to fed her warm food as much as possible until you see her eating heartily with the other chicks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom